Compact 4010 Parking brake problem

/ Compact 4010 Parking brake problem #1  

nathan8804

My foot brake with the parking brake switch under the steering wheel would not disengage. This has happened with only 42hours(hard hours). I was able to disengage it by pulling on a spring under the frame. The brakes work fine and I did adjust the linkage to the brakes to see if it would change anything. However the parking brake will still not disengage once it is set. There appears to be no adjustment on the parking brake linkage. The only items that can be played with is a spring and grease fitting. Has anyone had this happen on their 4000series tractors? And how was it fixed? Bty I did contact my POS dealer Mustang Equipment in San Antonio, Texas and they told me the fix was to just slam my foot on the brake. This does not fix the problem. It does help disengage a jamed foot brake. When I informed them that if I could not get the brake released I wanted to get someone to come out and look at it, they just beated around the bush claimed slam the brake once again and wished me "good luck". So if you live near the San Antonio area and are looking for support after the sale don't look to Mustang Equipment for it. Remeber "Good Luck" comes in handy when your out in the brush with dead equipment.

/ Compact 4010 Parking brake problem #2  
You are probably doing this but have you tried pushing on the brake pedal and then pushing the parking brake lever down? Mine used to disengage when the brake was pressed but now you have to push the lever down. I am not too fond of the parking brake setup on mine. It seems to barely work on even a slight incline.

/ Compact 4010 Parking brake problem
I hear what you are saying and it has been working great for the last 40 hours with no problem. I used every time I parked. But know even depressing the brake and pushing down the lever does nothing. Parking brake lever just springs back up and brakes say locked.

/ Compact 4010 Parking brake problem #4  
Hmmm.... I will try to look at mine tomorrow and see if I can figure out what may cause that to happen.

/ Compact 4010 Parking brake problem #5  
I have 63 hours on my 4110 and have had no problems with the parking brake. Not to crazy about the design and setup of the parking brake , however I use it every time I get off of the machine and depending on what ground I am on , I will curl the bucket and have it "dig" in a bit , just in case the parking brake lets go.

Marko

/ Compact 4010 Parking brake problem #6  
I just got a 2210, i presume the parking brake setup is the same. I have about 15 hrs of hard use, a lot of up and down out of the seat and loader work. If I understand what your saying your brake would disengage by pressing on the pedal only. Mine has always required that I depress the pedal and then lower the Brake handle, Its a little cumbersome.

/ Compact 4010 Parking brake problem #7  
Yes, I need to depress and hold down the brake pedals which then, and only then, allows me to release the red latch. It must be done in that order. Sometimes I need to press more firmly if the tractor is held at an angle by the brake. If I try to press the red handle down before depressing the foot pedals, it won't work and I have to re-sequence.

/ Compact 4010 Parking brake problem #8  
Actually now that I think about it I have always had to push the lever down. I was thinking of the JD riding mower I had before the tractor that had a similar setup.

/ Compact 4010 Parking brake problem
Ok guys I do understand how to operate the parking brake as described by big pete. Remember it has worked and released each time for the last 41 hours. However now it will not release and sometimes while using the tractor when I press on the brakes JUST for normal braking it automatically sets it self. And I have not pulled up on the red parking brake handle. Anyone having this problem? Any ideas on a fix. I do use the tractor just for front end loader work and it is possible a part has been damaged. However, no visual damage can be seen.

/ Compact 4010 Parking brake problem #10  
The parking brake on my 4100 I have to push the pedal down hard and then flip the red lever down. This is made even worse by the fact that the parking brake has to be ratcheted down as tight as you can get it when you engage it to be effective.

I agree with the other poster that the parking brake is very whimpy. I always also leave the HST in gear and when the loader is on, put it on the ground and my weight block as well.

- Rick