Has anybody replaced their hood??

/ Has anybody replaced their hood?? #1  

Boiler74

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4710
Well, long story short, I think I need to replace the hood on my 4710. The hood has been hard to close for some time - really needing to put some effort into it. Finally put some grease on the mechanism to make it work easier. BUT, I noticed that I have cracked the hood where the hood meets the closing mechanism. My fault, even though it's a pretty shoddy design. I've still got a lot of work to do with it, and probably wouldn't buy a new one for a while, except that the TEN series is on it's way out. So, I think I should buy one and put it in the basement for now. Has anybody had to do this, and how much is it going to hurt??

J.

/ Has anybody replaced their hood?? #2  
I can't answer your question, but I was wondering if you felt it was beyond fixing? Perhaps if you posted a picture of the crack, you might get some response that would explain how to fix it. Would JB-Weld or epoxy, sanded and painted, repair it? I'm not against buying new, but I hate to see stuff go into the landfill.

Cliff

/ Has anybody replaced their hood?? #3  
I had to replace the hood on my 4400. When I first called the parts manager at my dealer, he quoted me a price for the hood. That was in the $200 range. Then he called me back and said that there was a "kit" that included all of the seals, decals, and the hood for just above $200. I looked up the cost on jdparts.com and the cost for the hood alone for a 4710 was $230. Maybe your dealer will know where to find the kit with all of the decals, foam, hood, etc.

/ Has anybody replaced their hood?? #4  
I would not buy a new hood so soon. JD will be able to order you a new hood for quite some time after the models are gone. I still order stuff from the 70 series to put on my 990. And I have had no problem getting stuff for the '76 214 or '83 318.

/ Has anybody replaced their hood??
Thanks for the tips. I don't think I would be up for repairing it. In the process of building a house, so most all of my time is elsewhere. But it's good to know parts are still available after the series ends, and the 2-300 hundred range is about what I figured. I'll give them a call when I can. Thanks,

Josh

/ Has anybody replaced their hood?? #6  
I had the same problem on my 4600, JD priced out a new hood to be $325.00. I decided to fix it myself by taking the hood off the tractor, purchasing a piece of tin and then cutting it and molding it to fit over the plastic bracket, when everything fit well I epoxied the tin and then screwed it to the existing bracket. So far it has held for 2-3 months, the cost to fix was under $10.00 and about an hours worth of time.

Greg