2210 smokes on startup

/ 2210 smokes on startup #1  

horseman1

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2210,Farmall M, Craftsman GT and LT
My 2210 smokes quite a bit on startup, and then seems fine after that. Is it normal for it to smoke on startup when its cold? It runs great after that.

It has 30 hours on it so far. Also, the book says to change the oil after 50 hours, but it looks pretty dirty to me, so I was wondering if I should change the oil anyway. I suspect the engine has break-in oil in it so I was leary of just changing it out.

Thanks,

Kurt

/ 2210 smokes on startup #2  
Don't change that oil until you get to the 50 hour mark. As you mentioned, it is break-in oil...needs to be there.

As far as the smoking...I wouldn't worry about that either. If you send the tractor in to the dealers for the 50 hour service, you could ask about it....but as long as it doesn't continuously smoke, it's probably not a big deal.

What color is the smoke, anyway?

/ 2210 smokes on startup #3  
I have found my Deere 4300 will smoke (white) on start up if I have been previously starting and stopping it without letting it get warmed up (before shutting it down).

If I make sure it runs long enough to get warm before shutting it off, it will start up without the white smoke. Also, when cold in the winter, heating the glo plugs for the full time will eliminate a lot of the white smoke.

Not sure your 'smoke' is caused by similar conditions. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 2210 smokes on startup
Roy and Beenthere,

Thanks very much for the info, you guys are great. The smoke is white as far as I can tell. It does seem to be worse when I dont let it warm up before shutting it down, but "warm up" is hard to tell, since there is no temperature gauge, just idiot lights /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'll leave the oil, but I never let any of my other equipment run with oil that looks like that. BTW, it isnt using a drop of oil as far as I can tell.

I have never owned a diesel machine before, can you tell /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The tractor sure makes short work of horse stalls and other than the smoke at startup, it runs like a champ. Maybe I just need to work it a little harder to blow the cobs out!

Thanks again,

Kurt

/ 2210 smokes on startup #5  
I cant say that I personally would wait until 50hrs before changing the oil (in fact I didnt, and neither did my dealer)

I always figure changing fluids more frequently that what the mfg. suggests is always better.

Since Deere Hours are 1:1 only at full PTO speeds, your actual hours are double maybe? Thats more than broken in I would say...If it was me I would change away, and after the 50 HR mark, go synthetic...but again thats me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ducati

/ 2210 smokes on startup #6  
:Thanks very much for the info, you guys are great. The smoke is white as far as I can tell. It does seem to be worse when I dont let it warm up before shutting it down, but "warm up" is hard to tell, since there is no temperature gauge, just idiot lights I'll leave the oil, but I never let any of my other equipment run with oil that looks like that. BTW, it isnt using a drop of oil as far as I can tell. "

As far as warm ups...I let my 790 go about 10 minutes...or as long as it takes me to smoke a cigaret. This depends upon the ambient temperature, of course. This applies even if I'm just moving it out of the garage. If you don't let 'em warm up, you could get condensation in the exhaust system...maybe other systems as well. That might account for your white smoke, BTW. This tractor does have a temperature gauge...by the time 10 minutes have elapsed, the gauge is reading in the green. None of these machines seem to get to midrange on the gauge...

I've not had this tractor in the winter yet, but I'd always let my previous machine (a 670...very similar to the 790 except for engine displacement) idle at about 1500 RPM for about 15 minutes if it was below 40°F. I didn't normally run it too hard until the 15 minutes elapsed.

As far as the "dirtiness" of the oil...diesel engines will tend to "muddy" their oil quicker then a gasoline engine. Again..can't say I ever worried too much about it.

After the 50 hour oil change, I change the oil once a year. I don't put more then 70 or 80 hours on the tractor per year (normally less then that), so I think annnual changes are OK.

I expect this tractor to last me the rest of my life...so I will attend to maintenance.

/ 2210 smokes on startup #7  
Horesman,

My 2210 also smokes for a second at start-up and also at times when a load is applied -- ie, if the PTO is engaged at PTO rpm. This week I am coming up on the 50 hr. servicing, and is one of the things the dealer is going to look at (while he loads the tires and puts on gator blades). I don't really think anything is wrong, but it doesn't hurt to be sure. BTW, I think my smoke is more black than white.

I'll give an update towards the end of next week.

/ 2210 smokes on startup #8  
Normal. I use PowerService additive to the fuel and that reduces smoke almost entirely. Also increases the cetane rating.

I'd also leave the breakin oil for the full 50hrs. You could glaze the cylinder walls by not getting a full breakin and going to synthetic too early. I did my change at 55hrs, went to non-syn oil for another 50 then went to syn. At 220hrs she has burned a drop. And the oil gets black right off, like my boat's diesel. Not to worry.

/ 2210 smokes on startup #9  
There was another post regarding warmups and operating temps. I inquired about going to a 190 thermostat in my 2210 since my Curtis cab heater wasn't making much heat with the stock 160. I was told that the way the combustion/pre-combustion chambers are designed that "hitting it" hard before properly warmed up cracking of the cyl. heads could occur.

I went to a 190 thermostat and get the heat I need but I also let it idle at around 1800rpm for at least 5 minutes before I even pickup the FEL or rear implement. I never go to full PTO rpm for at least 10 minutes. Excessive idling will carbon up the injectors eventually.

My last post was mis-stated..the 2210 has not used a drop of oil in over 100hrs.

/ 2210 smokes on startup #10  
My 990 blow a good bit of white smoke for a while when I first start it up. Less in the warm weather, but on a cool day (I haven't tried it below freezing yet, but maybe around +5 deg C) it will smoke pretty good for several minutes. I'm not worried about it.

I have wondered why some people seem to get very very little smoke on startup depending on their brand and model of tractor. I assume it is a just a combination of engine design, whether it has glow plugs or not (mine doesn't), and the ambient temperature. Where I live I expect I'll always see more smoke due to cold temps than someone in Texas or Arizona. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif