Hard turning at low RPM

/ Hard turning at low RPM #1  

BrandonEvans

Tractor
John Deere 4200
Hello All:

Have a 4200 that when at idle and up to about 1/3 throttle is very difficult to turn the wheel.

If I get the throttle above 1/3 to half, the wheel turns pretty much normal.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Brandon
2000 4200, 420FEL, 60MMM, PHD, 5'BH

/ Hard turning at low RPM #2  
I had a 4600 that did that on and off. Finally it did it for the dealer and I believe they replaced the pump that runs the steering. It has been a while and I've slept since then, but I think that it is a different pump than runs the loader? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif If not, I'm sure someone will correct me. Anyway, the dealer fixed it. If you are under warranty I'd take it to the dealer.

/ Hard turning at low RPM #3  
My 4200 isn't as easy to turn at low RPM as it is at the higher throttle levels. It's not a problem. I'm driving slower so I don't need to turn all that far that fast. I just assumed that the pump wasn't operating at full efficiency because of the lower RPM's.

/ Hard turning at low RPM #4  
i would think pump performance should be good at idle as well as wide open throttle.there could be an internal valve bleeding off at idle on you're machine.i would certainly have it checked out by you're dealer,sounds like pump replacement is in order.if it is not under warranty,there may be a rebuild kit available.it's a pretty straight forward operation,but if you are not mechanically capable have it performed by a professional as you can cause you're self lots of grief if not done properly.the power steering pump is seperate from the hydro pump,J.D. did it that way to avoid the problem you are having. good uck with the fix and let us know how it turns out.

/ Hard turning at low RPM
Thanks for the input.

I guess I will have the dealer take a look at that too.

I have a few other things they need to fix for me as well that I have been waiting until I finished up all my landscaping and work around the house.

1. Rear PTO needs adjusted as it clicks some (have to push the lever forward abit and it stops)
2. Front axle seal need replaced
3. A-B-C range shaft that goes into the trans broke off.
4. Now add on the power steering pump.

This little tirp is probobly going to cost me over $1000 at approx $50/hr. Ouch !

Brandon

/ Hard turning at low RPM #6  
I know it likely won't help much, but you own a good solid machine and it is unlikely to have to keep fighting these things with your JD. If you are not far out of warranty, it is not out of the question to have JD help some. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

/ Hard turning at low RPM #7  
check your front tire pressure.

If this happens when you've a load in the bucket, up the front tire pressure to 25 lbs or so.