460 loader question

/ 460 loader question #1  

NCDeere

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4510
I just bought a JD 4510 with a 460 loader on it. My question is do any of you know if JD makes a larger bucket for this loader? My brother-in-law has a 1990 Ford 2120 with a loader on it. His weight limit is about 1800 lbs. If my memory is correct the 460 can handle about 2300lbs. My bucket is about 2/3 the size of his. I just want to use all its potential. Does JD make a bigger one or does someone make an after market bucket that will fit right on the 460? This is my first tractor, so let me know what you think. Am I being dumb or reasonable?

Thanks,

Bryan

/ 460 loader question #2  
Measure your bucket's width. You can configure a loader on Deere's site and there see the additional buckets. I know that there is a 61" and a 73" width. I also have seen buckets and other attachments from other vendors...

/ 460 loader question #3  
Off the top of my head - there are the following buckets from Deere directly compatible with the 460 - regular and heavy duty 61", regular and heavy duty 73", high volume (don't know how heavy it's built) 73", and the 4-in-1.

The 460 will lift 2300 or so to full height at the pivot pin - it's rated around 1800 out at the far edge of the bucket. But if you're not doing a full clean-and-jerk to full height, like all loaders it will pick up considerably more down low. Then there's always the question of stability and enough counterweight ballast to control that big load.

One other option - there are several sources of adapters that can convert the JD-proprietary quik-tach to the standard skid-steer spec. That then opens up the world of skid-steer buckets - although the adapter moves things out a few inches and I think those buckets tend to be a little heavier so you're likely going to lose a little load weight capacity.

/ 460 loader question
Thanks for the info. I called my JD dealer, but he was out until tomorrow. Do any of you know what the volume is for the "high volume" bucket vs. the one that is on it. Mine is the 73" wide bucket.

Thanks again for the help.

Bryan

/ 460 loader question #5  
Got the manual out:

size / 'struck capacity'

61" buckets / 9 cu. ft.
73" reg and HD / 10.7 cu ft.
73" high vol (light density) / 15 cu ft.

/ 460 loader question #6  
While I am all for getting the most bang for your buck. I would be careful not to get too much bucket on the tractor. While the Hyd. might be up to the task the rest of the tractor is still light duty. Those loader frames twist alot when digging and pushing agaisnt things. I would surmise that having another 100 lbs or more in bucket/adapters on the front would have some serious repercussions in the long run. I have not had good luck with deeres front ends. It might jsut be bad seals but ??? My bucket on the 110 can hold nearly 1 yard heaped FULL. The 73" 460 bucket will hold a decent amount if it to is heaped FULL. Probably in the range of 20-22 cu. ft. I don't reall think counter balancing would be a real issue so long as you have something over 1000 lbs and filled rear tires. My 110 with no hoe or attachment is pretty well front heavy and you can get too much weight up there. I would be learie of going with an adapter and skid-loader bucket as most you can find are long "nosed" You will have a tremendous loss in your roll back ability. Just my .02 cents or maybe .05 cents. Anyways good luck on what you decide. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 460 loader question #7  
Oh I forgot. When comparing New Holland loaders to deeres. Look at how uch further deeres loaders can roll back. My 110's sides are nearly parrallel to the ground when at the normal carrying height. Compared to NH they are still realativly vertical. You can pile way more dirt on the the JD bucket and get it to stay there much easier than NH. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif