I wonder how long JD keeps parts.

/ I wonder how long JD keeps parts. #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
The local dealer advised me that they no longer maintain parts to the JD 820 (about 1970) injection pump.

I wonder how long they maintain parts for JD tractors?

Ralph

/ I wonder how long JD keeps parts. #2  
An antique tractor restorer told me he can get brand new heads for old poppin Johnnys still. He said they were $1700 but at least if he needed one, he could get it.

/ I wonder how long JD keeps parts. #3  
The 2 cyl 820 went out of production near the end of the 50's. There was a model 830 in production for a short time, and it was the last of the 2-cyl, before Deere switched over to 4 a 6 cyl engines. Models started at 3010, 4010, 5010 and even an 8010 (big monster 4 wheel articulated).

I suspect parts are available, or interchangeable, if you can get the right lead on where they are (E-bay?). Get into the 2-cyl Club and groups that are restoring these old 2-cyl tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also can look up the serial numbers and get the year too.

This site will take you right to the model 820 and s/n's
http://johnnypopper.com/

/ I wonder how long JD keeps parts. #4  
John Deere's supply of parts for older tractors varies greatly from model to model and according to demand. Some parts that are easily fabricated such as oil lines and hoses are phased out quickly. High volume parts such as clutches, brakes, and maintenance type parts are in the system almost indefinitely. Unfortunately, some models that did not sell in high numbers have parts that are phased out more quickly than models that sold in high numbers. Overall I think Deere does a better job at supplying older parts than alot of other manufacturers. Definitely alot better than the automotive industry.

/ I wonder how long JD keeps parts. #5  
JD keeps parts for a long time. I work at the JD dealer here and we have many, many parts. We can order almost anything. I am restoring my 1984 318 and recently ordered a complete engine gasket kit for the original B series Onan. Turns out the kit was back ordered but I had ordered it one month ago and wondered why it had not come in yet. So I did a little digging and found the gasket kit went out of production in 1992. The B series motor was last used in '86. So I did a dealer search of the part and many other neighboring dealers have it in stock so I had one hold one for me. Sometimes you have to do a dealer check for old, old parts that not many people use anymore. So I would recommend you have your dealer look for the parts at other dealers.

/ I wonder how long JD keeps parts. #6  
Ditto the dealer search function. I wanted some disc scrapers for a JD "JBA" pull behind disc. The parts went out of production 61 years ago but two dealers in the U.S. still had some. Same situation with parts for a "KBA" disc I'm working on tight now.

It sounds like your 820 is the three cylinder diesel model produced between 1968-1973 as opposed to the 2 cylinder gasser produced 1956-1958? Watch E-Bay for spare parts to come up, a lot of people "clean out the barn" and throw the stuff up. Secure the exact part number for the kit you need and keep it and do a search in Google. Nine times out of ten what you need exists, it's just the process of getting hooked up with it that can be time consuming.

/ I wonder how long JD keeps parts. #7  
820 gas? 3-cyl? I vote for diesel and 2-cyl for the 820.

The original post was asking for info on an injection pump? That would be diesel too, I think. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The 820 that I recall was the later model of the Model R diesel, originally out in 1949.