want to add radio to new John Deere 5420

/ want to add radio to new John Deere 5420 #1  

tootall

My dad wants to add a radio to his new JD 5420 (2004). It has the factory-made "opening".

How do we find out what make and model of radio is compatible with the existing hook-ups?

The dealer said Delco makes a radio that will fit, but that was all the info he gave.

/ want to add radio to new John Deere 5420 #2  
Around here there are shops that specialize in after market auto radios and installation. If you find one near you they can certainly tell you and probably have any plugs/adapters you might need. If you can't find one of those shops yourself, call a couple local car/truck dealers and ask them for a referral.

I'm assuming your 5420 has an enclosed cab. If it doesn't and hearing protection is a concern, you might want to look into Peltor's 'Worktunes' headset. They have AM-FM radios built in and offer a 25 db noise reduction rating for under $60.

I understand they have even fancier sets that differentiate between loud noises such as engines, etc. and softer sounds such as human speech and only block the louder noise so you can converse while wearing them. I believe you can also find some with two way radios built in if you really want to get fancy.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ want to add radio to new John Deere 5420 #3  
Any standard radio will fit. I put a Kenwood in mine.

/ want to add radio to new John Deere 5420 #4  
Radios are made to standard size specs, DIN 1 is most common DIN 2 is 2x the size etc. Satellite radios seem to need clumsy antennas that attract branches. Eventually somebody will build bubble style antenna that branches just slide over - look on top of a Metro transit bus or over the road trucker cabs many use tracking & communication radios with the bubble antennas on top.

Since this is for your Dad why not set him up with a AMFM CD DVD TV LCD in the tractor so He can throttle back & watch the news instead of running into the house?

Seriously any brand name radio over $100 will work well, extra money goes to bells & whistles. You really want to spend the most money & time on speakers & enclosures as that is what will be most noticeable.