I'm a new owner of a JD2210 with FEL and 62" mid-mower
with a couple of questions...

Since the tractor is new (< 3 weeks and < 8
hours) I am not yet familiar with "normal" tractor
noises and performance so I need some help with determining
baseline operations.

The other day I removed and re-attached the FEL for the first
time. I wanted to mow an acre of our property and didn't want
the annoyance of continually watching out for the FEL.

When I was re-attaching the FEL, I ran into problems
connecting the yellow hydraulic line. It would not
go into the coupler, all the other lines went in like
butter and the yellow coupler would accept any of the
other lines as well - so the problem was with the yellow
hydraulic hose on the FEL.

On closer inspection I discovered that the nipple at the
end of hydraulic line on all the other hoses could be moved
if pressed lightly, the yellow hose would not budge so somehow
the line had become pressurized. Eventually I tapped the nipple
with the plastic end of a screwdriver which resulted in the
emission of a cloud of hydraulic fluid and with a few more
taps the line was relieved of pressure. I could then connect
all the hoses up to the tractor with no difficulty.

Question 1: Is it normal that a hydraulic line can become
pressurized (I manipulated the SVC lever well before
removing the FEL)?
Question 2: Is tapping the nipple at the end of the hydraulic
hose a suitable way to relieve pressure?

Now that everything is back together I'm noticing a hydraulic
hiss coming from the SVC when I lower the FEL by moving the SVC
lever more than half way. I'm not sure if this is normal or if I
got air in the system.

Lifting the FEL, curling the bucket up/down and lowering the FEL
(with the lever less than half way) does not produce any noises.
I'm not sure if this is a problem or not as I can't remember noticing
this noise before -- I'm usually pretty good at making mental notes of
noises. The FEL does not appear to be down on power lifting or lowering
as it lifts the trackor front wheels easily.

Question 3: Is it normal to get some hydraulic hissing from the
SVC when lowering the FEL quickly? (not floating)
I'm just trying to get a baseline for "normal".

OT: I am amazed at the engineering of the FEL -- it took less than
5 minutes to take the FEL off and it would have taken less time
if I wasn't stopping occasionally because I thought it was too easy,
thinking: "I must be missing something". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll follow-up with the JD dealer next week but I want to find out if
I may be causing damage by using the FEL.

Thanks,
Tony

/ Hydraulic hiss on new JD2210 (normal?) #2  
I have had my 2210 with 210 FEL, and 62"MMM (back blade and tiller too) since this spring and now have 93 hours on it. When I disconnect the FEL I do nothing special with the lever. I park it with the bucker flat, pull the latches, then raise it just high enough for the base to clear the front tires. I then pull the hoses and back away. that's all. if it wasn't for the fiddling with the plastic dust caps I could have the bucket off (and on) in a matter of seconds. This comes with a little practice. I don't have any trouble connecting couplers because of pressure, when parked there should be very little if any pressure in the FEL. On occasion a coupler will be stubborn but that is from misalignment due to the hoses becoming tangled inside the protective sheath. what i do is feel along the sheath to ensure the hoses are not crossed. Try connecting the couplers in a different sequence according to accessibility (back ones first, then those closest to you)
as for hissing, no, I can't say as I've ever noticed hissing while the engine is running. If I let down the hydraulics with the engine off that's the only time i hear hissing. I do get air trapped in the system sometimes but it works itself out after a few "reps". ( moving the bucket and lift all the way back and forth)
I am getting a "growl" sound from my hydraulics under hot-idle conditions, will have the dealer give er a listen. '

As far as damage, I can't see how any harm can come as long as the hydraulic fluid level is correct.
I take care to always clean the couplers when connecting and disconnecting. be sure your couplers are clean, dirt might cause it not to couple easily, not to mention being really bad for the system.
anyways, be careful, there is a "pucker factor" in trying to lift too much weight with the FEL. ...in other words, she would't have too much trouble flipping herself over if there not enough weight in the back.

/ Hydraulic hiss on new JD2210 (normal?) #3  
Grimmt,
Same as you I have had my 2210 for just 15hours. I will say the JD deal did an excellent job of describing the tractor when they delivered it. The guy spent almost an hour going over all of the functions. I have had the loader off 3 or 4 times, and was having a little difficulty. I made sure to clean the Quick Disconnects, Sprayed the area with a little Silicone spray, and the last time it went on like a snap. I have noticed pressure left in the lines as well, and it seemed like fully operating the Scv valve with the bucket on the ground solved this from me. This is what the JD guy said to do. I do not have anything I would describe as a hissing sound though.

Bruce

/ Hydraulic hiss on new JD2210 (normal?) #4  
I have had an over-pressurized line on both my (late) 2210 and my 4110. If you shut down the tractor according to the manual and relieve the pressure by diddling the SCV valve, it won't happen. I admit I don't do that very often, and the only time I found the lines to be over-pressurized was when I had taken the loader off for a very short time, then reinstalled before the pressurization relieved itself naturally. Nothing to worry about there except being careful when relieving the pressure in the line. Point away from any body part, put your glove on, and cover with a towel.

The hissing sound when lowering the arms with a loaded bucket is normal, too.

/ Hydraulic hiss on new JD2210 (normal?)
Thanks everyone for their input.

It sounds like everything is fine then.

Pete: The hydraulic hiss I get can be produced with an unloaded bucket. It occurs when dropping the FEL quickly, approx 1/2 SVC lever throw or more.

/ Hydraulic hiss on new JD2210 (normal?) #6  
Although I have an X585 with FEL I assume it's basically the same. The last time I attached the FEL I shut the tractor off and preceded to connect the hoses one wouldn't go on. I realized the 3pt. weight box was up in the air and causing the tractor side coupling not to depress. Lowered it to the ground and it went right on.