Chains tire chains and wheel spacers

/ tire chains and wheel spacers #1  

pat32rf

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4300
I went to install my chains yesterday and figured that since I had my new (to me)hoe on board that it would be a lot simpler job this year since I could just lift the tire with the landing gear and save all that backing and forwarding. Now this is a set of twist chains that I have been adapting and using on diferent things over the past 20 years, the past 3 on my 4300. If I get them tight they only clip the fenders now and then but thats the beauty of plastic.....
First we laid every thing out,then realized that the hoe platform is even closer than the fenders. We pulled a wheel,(yes they are loaded with ww anti-freeze) hoping to gain a bit on the offset but no luck. Has anybody out there tried wheel spacers? About one inch more clearance would make me a lot more comfortable as that hoe looks kinda unforgiving should a crosslink catch it. Pat V. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ tire chains and wheel spacers #2  
Pat,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I get them tight they only clip the fenders now and then but thats the beauty of plastic..... )</font>

I've used chains on the rear of my 4300 for the last four years. I've never had a chain hit the fender. I used them last year quite a bit with my 48 backhoe mounted. I'm running turf tires with the wheels set to the widest position. Are you using a good set of tighteners?

/ tire chains and wheel spacers
Jim- I am running those optional industrial type tires that my dealer talked me into when he could not find a tractor with standard ag tires to sell me. They have great floatation but are also short on traction when it comes to frozen dirt, rocks and logs. They are also very flat and wide in the tread with the corner of the tread only about 2 inches from the hoe platform. I just feel nervous about putting the hoe on while the chains are in place but without chains I can't make it up most of the hills on my place once the ground freezes. My rims are not adjustable and I can only gain about 1/2 inch by reversing them.

/ tire chains and wheel spacers #4  
I can't tell if its the 4300 you are putting chains on, or something else with a backhoe. Also, are they R-4's?

The R-4's on my 4300 can be switched but only about 1" is gained on each side. I thought there wasn't room between the fender and the regular chains, so I made a set of chains that have longer side chains and shorter cross chains. That way the side chains lay in the dip of the R-4 tread high on the sides and do not come down along the sidewall of the tires. Work well, but were a bit tricky to figure out how to make.

Not aware of wheel spacers, but its a thought. The turf tires and ag tires are on rims that have more adjustment to them.

/ tire chains and wheel spacers
Yes, they are the R4 tires. Your idea of changing the link lengths sounds better than spacers. I actually did something similar about 20 years back when making a set of front wheel chains for a Scout 4x4. Had to make the inside chain longer than the outside so it would ride closer to the tread and clear the tie rod. They looked funny when laid on the ground but worked great on the truck-went anywhere(almost). Thanks(Its now 1:45am ,Bush looks good, its starting to snow here and I think my problem is solved so I'm going to bed!) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ tire chains and wheel spacers #6  
I'm not sure what engineering would think about this, but I've seen the online CAD drawing and design website that was in another thread, and I"m sure you could spec out some spacers with holes for the lugs. I would have no idea how thick to go, or what you would do about new longer wheel bolts. If anybody can remember the website, maybe they can post it here. When I saw the site I thought of this exact part, fairly quick, easy design, shouldn't be too expensive. This site takes your design, quotes you a price, machines, and ships directly to you. pretty neat.