Answers please re 2210

/ Answers please re 2210 #1  

Prepo

I am looking at purchasing a 2210 and would appreciate some information from owners' experience:

1. Is it possible to get cruise control? If not, is mowing grass for say 3 hours tiresome on the right foot?

2. Is there "power down" on a FEL or front snow blower? Do you use it?

3. Is it easy to raise the MMM to clear obstacles and to set the cutting height?

4. Do you have a means of adjusting the snow blower ejector angle up or down without getting off the tractor?

5. If you have a canopy, how high is the top of it from the ground (for my shed door clearance?)

6. Is there any advantage to the 62" mid position mower over the 54" other than mowing time?

7. I understand that John Deere do not have an enclosed cab for the 2210. Any experience with an aftermarket cab (possibly plastic for the winter)?

8. Any disadvantages to leaving the loader attached when mowing?

9. How easy is it to use the TPH with non-John Deere equipment?

10. Have you come up with a good way to secure the 2210 from being stolen from a shed which is not bomb-proof?

This is a very helpful forum and I will look forward to and appreciate your experience and knowledge.

/ Answers please re 2210 #2  
Items I can comment on:

3: Deck lift is tied to the lift arms on the 3 point hitch, takes a little getting used to, but once you get a little seat time its fine.

5: Top of my Rops is 6'5" with turf tires, dont know if this helps you.

6: 62" vs 54"deck. 62" deck gives more mowing width beyond the tires for trimming, I elected to get the 54" deck for easier storage (might have been a mistake). Rear tires are 48" apart.

8: Leaving the Loader on when Mowing. It is so easy to remove I just take it off, a minute or 2 on and off.

9: Using 3ph with other equipment. I have Brush hogged with my Woods BBull 48" a few times. I flipped the 3 point pins to the inside of the 3 point frame on the mower, seems to work better this way.

Maxfli500

/ Answers please re 2210 #3  
I've bought a JD 4010 and drove a 2210 at the same dealership. Following are some I can comment on:

1. Is it possible to get cruise control? If not, is mowing grass for say 3 hours tiresome on the right foot?

Both the JD 2210 and JD4010 have cruise control. It's basically a lock on the HST position. I'd think it's a big help for long periods at the same speed.

3. Is it easy to raise the MMM to clear obstacles and to set the cutting height?

The 2210 has a precision cutting height gizmo. This is missing from the 4010.

5. If you have a canopy, how high is the top of it from the ground (for my shed door clearance?)

The top of the fixed ROPS with turf tires was measured at 78" on the 2210 and 77" on the 4010. The 4010 specs say 78" for R1 (ag) tires.

9. How easy is it to use the TPH with non-John Deere equipment?

The dealer had 2 or 3 different Woods attachments on 2210 machines.

Hope this helps. If I wanted more hp, I'd have gone with the 2210 rather than try to get the hp in the 4000 series. A friend of mine at church bought a 2210 recently from the same dealer I'm getting my 4010 from, and with same equipment: loader & 4' cutter. I don't need a mower. Don't have much lawn and have a Gravely and Lawnboy that do it fine.

Ralph

/ Answers please re 2210 #4  
1) The 2210 does NOT have the cruse control. The last poster has stated it does BUT it does NOT. I am going to find a way to add it but not as of yet. Maybe an electro magnet would be the easiest way to add it. The parts will not simply fit from the 4xxx series because the parking brake is in the way. I find that mowing in low gear is not too bad on your foot (when in low... you just hold your foot to the floor board. just the right speed.). Cruse would be nice but not bad without it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2) If "power down" is float.. yes. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I use it all the time. I grade my road and could not do it without. I also use it when plowing snow.

3) The MMM is easy to raise. It is lifted by the 3 point control lever and I only lower it until the MMM is all the way down. That way the 3 point will not dig on hills (when backing up or steep grade change). Plus, if there is a rock, it will lift up right away. It works great. You won't even think about it after a while... becomes second nature. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4) I do not have a blower yet but according to the Deere book... They sell a kit to "operate it remotely" (My craftsman blower had a cable to pull). Good question! I wish I knew what the kit looked like (or a part number). /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5) Don't know. Maxfli seems to have the answer. Can't bee too much higher I would think. Maybe if it slopes back it is possibly 6" higher than the ROPS.

6) The 62 is great for speed. The 54 would be better on un-even ground but not too much better. There is plenty of extra horse power for the 62! It never bogs down and an tighter diameter of cut grass. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7) I know that Curtis Cabs has one for about $1600+- but they do not have a picture on their site.

8) I take the loader off because of the weight. If not the loader it's self, I remove the bucket to save weight. The bucket is heavy and I don't want to compact the lawn too much. Only takes a minute to do either.

9) The 3 point is very easy to use. Same as all others in it's class.

10) As all 2210's use the same key... you will have to find something else. Replace the ignition or put an ignition kill switch hidden somewhere that only you would know about. This is a good question to think about still.

/ Answers please re 2210 #5  
prepo,

All the answers above are good, I have just a few things to add:

1. I find the forward hydro pedal is very comfortable for slow to 3/4, from then on my foot is stretched to an awkward position. For mowing, this isn't an issue as I doubt you would cut at such high speeds.

2. Float works great with the FEL and the snowblower.

3. Rockshaft control is in a very comfortable position.

4. Blower chute turns from left to right using the joystick and hydraulics. To change the up and down chute, you have to get off the tractor and do that manually.

5. N/A

6. 62" MMM is the way to go. It gives a good overlap that yields an uncut circle of 36". I think this combination was as maneuverable as a 425 w/54" MMM. The real maneuverability issue with the 2210 is the ROPS. Again the distance the 62" extends out the sides takes the ROPS further away from trees etc.

7. N/A

8. Take loader off. Tractor is better balanced and it comes off so easily that it isn't worth keeping on to mow.

9. Easy except 3rd party implements are not iMatch compatable.

10. Insurance. Big dog. 44 Mag. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Answers please re 2210
Thank you everyone for your helpful answers. I am impressed by the willingness to take time to respond on this forum.

/ Answers please re 2210 #7  
1. If you are mowing continuously for 3 hours with your foot to the floor, then yes it could possibly get tiresome. I mow for about 2.5 hours, but with enough speed change around obstacles that I never notice any foot fatigue.

2. Yes there is down force on the loader. You need it for digging. There is also a float position.

3. Yes, it is easy to raise and lower the deck. Setting the cutting height of the deck is done by both the gage wheels and a knob on the floor of the tractor.

6. Sure, its bigger, and bigger is always better, right? Since the steering radius of the tractor doesn’t change, and the mower is wider, the 62” should cut a smaller radius than the 54”

8. If I were cutting large fields that required very little turning and maneuvering I could conceivably keep it on. It does make the steering heavy. Like others have stated, it’s too easy to take it off, not to do so.

9. I have a Speeco post hole digger, a Frontier tiller and a rear mounted snow blower. All mount and function just fine. I don’t use an iMatch quick attach mount.

10. Sleep with it.

/ Answers please re 2210 #8  
I checked with the dealer today. He verified that the 2210 does not have cruise control. Could have sworn there were 2 of those orange levers underneath the steering wheel like on the 4010.

Why not get the 4010? It's actually $300 less than the 2210. Why do you need 23 hp for just mowing? You generally should use the 2210/4010 at full rpm (e.g. full power) because that is the right rpm speed for the PTOs. The 4010's 18 hp is plenty of power. I know of a guy with an 18 hp HST Kubota who runs his with a 5' bush hog, with chains front and rear.

Ralph