1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start

/ 1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start #1  

JeffSpencer

Bronze Member
Tractor
4200 HST
My hydrostat 4200 JD is having problems starting. When I try to start it, the engine turns over, but never starts. I do not turn it over for long, because when it does start, it starts very quickly. I can wait five minutes,try again and sometimes it will start. However, sometimes it will take an hour or so of trying to start it in five minute intervals. I have taken it to the dealer, but when I do, it starts for them. I have checked all of the safety switches.

Can anyone help me?

/ 1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start #2  
That sounds like the problem I had with my JD 4400 when I 1st got it. It was a hard one for my dealer to pin point,it is a small inline piece in a wire going to the fuse panel. They had replaced the fuel pump twice before they finally found the problem, the tractor would start right up at times and other times it would take 1/2 hour to start it. It was an easy fix once they figured out the problem,they came right to my home and fixed it in about 15 minutes and I have not had a problem starting my tractor since ( fixed about 3 years ago)

/ 1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start
Thanks Roughcut...Is there any way to get the specifics for me from your dealer? This is driving me crazy. My dealer can't figure out the problem. What do you mean when you say "it is a small inline piece in a wire going to the fuse panel"?

/ 1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start #4  
I will try...give me time...I can't guarantee anything.

/ 1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start #5  
Your opening description matches a problem I had with my 4400. If its a safety switch problem, the engine won't crank. About the only other thing that would prevent starting is no fuel. After checking for clogs and measuring the voltage at the fuel cut-off solenoid valve, I decided to pull the solenoid. I messed with it, put it back in and the tractor started fine for a week or two, then went intermittent again. One hint, if it is this valve, is that when working properly it will give a rather loud click when you turn the key on. The next time it won't start, remove the right side panel and listen just to the right of the fuel filter jar for a loud click. If you don't hear one, then you probably need to replace the shut off valve. Once you remove the valve you can easily test it, by holding it in your hand and turning the key on. If it just partially retracts then it is either a voltage problem or the valve itself. Once you have it out you can easily check the voltage. The valve for the 4400 cost a little over $100.00. If you decide to pull it, let me know and I'll tell you how to make the job a lot simpler.

/ 1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start #6  
Incidently, Roughcut could be right. This is a thermistor (or something like that) thay allows full voltage to go the the shut-off valve to open it, but then as the thermistor heats up, it drops the voltage to a level that will keep it open. During a non starting episode if you are getting 12 volts or more to the shut-off valve then it probably isn't this inline gismo. Once again, the next time it won't start, listen for the click, if you don't hear it, it is either this gismo (or something else electrical upstream) or the valve itself.

/ 1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start
Thanks JerryT and Roughcut. The valve is clicking when I turn the key. That was one of the dealer's first concerns. I was told that if the valve is clicking, the tractor is getting fuel. That's another reason I am baffled.

Thanks again!

/ 1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> This is a thermistor (or something like that) thay allows full voltage to go the the shut-off valve to open it, but then as the thermistor heats up, it drops the voltage to a level that will keep it open. During a non starting episode if you are getting 12 volts or more to the shut-off valve then it probably isn't this inline gismo. Once again, the next time it won't start, listen for the click, if you don't hear it, it is either this gismo (or something else electrical upstream) or the valve itself. </font> )</font>

That sounds right.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start #9  
Jeff
I just want to clarify something. The "click" test that I recommend is only valid when the tractor won't start. Also their are other relays that click so you need to do this test with the right side off and your ear close by.
Jerry

/ 1999 John Deere 4200 - Will not start #10  
My 4300 does the same thing -about 5 or 6 times a year. I think that the problem is in the fuel system but it always starts before I can pin it down. Of course it only does it when you want to use the tractor NOW. Next time I will pull that side panel and listen instead of pounding on the fuse panel. Please let us know if anyone can pin down the exact location of the offending wire/splice. Pat