Some basic questions about tractors

/ Some basic questions about tractors #11  
It's OK. Bob, that's why I said nitpicking...

/ Some basic questions about tractors #12  
Adding my 2 cents (worth about that much) and a little further "nitpicking"... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I now have nearly 230 hr.s on the 4115's Hydrostatic transmission since Spring and have worked the poor little thing pretty hard. I have not had one transmission related problem (nor any others except that warranteed fan belt). I love the hydro and expect to appreciated it even more as the snow is starting to fall and I have 20' x 600' of driveway to blow. However, there could well be a traction advantage of being able to lug down a higher gear to not spin on ice that the hydro may do poorly at...I'll soon find out.

The power beyond is also great for my wood splitter (albeit the 7.9 Gpm makes for a slow piston).

Snowblower and SCV...are we talking rear or front mount? The 47' front mount, I just bought, is controlled by the dual SCV. Just clarifying for this discussion, as I'm sure Mike knows all this. Left/Right on the SCV rotates the chute. Forward/Reverse drops or raises the mount (thereby the blower) AND full forward on the SCV "floats" the blower (which is the recommended position, especially for dirt or gravel surfaces).

For those who already know all this, sorry, I had the 2 cents to spare this a.m. as it's nasty sleet, snow, rain outside and I'm having tractor withdrawal. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Some basic questions about tractors #13  
Excellant info on the snowblower... My son is sure we need one, but snow seldom stays past lunch time here, still...

/ Some basic questions about tractors #14  
I have a hydro and its been treated pretty hard, no problems. If you decide to get a JD and plan on getting a FEL, order the dual scv with the machine, they cost a whole lot more to add later on. You might also consider getting power beyond for the rear if you ever want to hook up a topntilt to a box blade later on, its saves jumping off the tractor to adjust the boxblade when grading etc.

/ Some basic questions about tractors #15  
As an owner of many hydro machines I wouldn't go any other way, you should drive both and buy what you like. Any talk of one being more reliable then another is just personal opinion, the facts show either will probably outlive the the owner. With cruise control the Hydro's will perform just as well as the gears for all applications. As far as the amount of efficency loss I doubt it is as high as 15% but even if it is you would have to put a lot of hours on in a year to notice any real dent in your pocket book. Around here (West Michigan) the Hydro's move off the lot much faster and at a better re-sale then the gear drives.

/ Some basic questions about tractors #16  
I used my tractor to return something to a neighboring ranch the other day. The guy has a huge spread and lotsa big iron, and has been ranching about 70 years (he's 85, and you just try and keep up with him!). He just marvelled at my tractor, and asked to try it, he said he "always wanted a hydro, they are so wonderful" I can't figure out why he just diden't cut a check... Course, the whole time I am gawking at his big machines...

Whatever you do, be sure an' have fun!

/ Some basic questions about tractors #17  
If you are going to be operating your unit in hilly country,or poor traction such as snow for things like log skidding,trail building, snow clearing I wouldn't even consider a gear box. You can put the power to the ground a lot more gently with a hydro than most clutches, you can start off on an upgrade then speed up as the ground improves without shifting gears and loosing traction or momentum. The Hydro is NOT the same as a automotive tranny with its torque converter which is most efficient at higher rpm. The hydro is a positive displacement hydraulic pump and adjustible motor combination. There is no slippage. There is a bit of heat generated but such is the case with any gearbox. If you have helpers who are new to tractors,they can master a hydro in about 15 seconds- my wife did-now she can do all kinds of little tractor chores without calling me to drive. Maybe on a big farm with a lot of field work the stick shift still rules but I used a 60hp Case and a smaller Massey before I settled on a 4300hydro- No regrets on choice, just dealer. Pat

/ Some basic questions about tractors
Bob says “let the tasks decide the tractor size, type”.

My tasks on the 50 acres are: (1) plowing/tilling a small home garden, and a ¼ acre food plot for wildlife, (2) maintaining a 1,200 foot gravel driveway, (3) turning manure/compost, hauling gravel and other materials and carrying medium size logs out of the woods, (4) mowing about 4 acres with a brush hog on a regular basis and occasionally mowing 15 acres when the local farmer doesn’t take my hay, (5) drilling post holes, and (6) maybe clearing snow from the driveway either with a snow blower or blade.

It appears that a hydro tractor can handle all of the above tasks efficiently and quickly. But how about PTO HP—Is 25 hp ( such as JD 4310) sufficient for what I’m trying to do, or do I need to give up the convenience of hydro and go with 35hp (JD990)?

Thanks,

Steve

/ Some basic questions about tractors #19  
I'd say the 25 HP would do you fine. You may find traction will be the biggest issue; not PTO horsepower.

Consult with the dealer on the hydraulic options.

Enjoy the tractor! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon