Tractor
    4300 JD, Sync Shift

Default FEL Lockout

The lever used to Lockout the FEL has been confusing to me since it has 3 positions but my manual only shows 2. I asked the dealer about it when I got the tractor and he didn't know what the difference was between the center and top position. Well this last weekend I think I finally figured it out.
    Bottom is fully locked FEL.
    Center Locks out float.
    Top is fully functional.
    This is on a 4300, does anyones manual describe this? Did I get it right? I've had a real problem at times getting it to float and thought it was just me, but now, in the top position it works smoothly.

Branch

Gold Member
    Tractor
    790 John Deere, 2000

Default Re: FEL Lockout

My 790 has a clearly marked lever next to the FEL handle...
    down = fully locked
    middle = full use
    up = only allows side-to-side (I guess for if you only need one circuit for something like a snowblower's hydraulic chute)

There is a lock-plate down below that is hard to get to. That plate is strictly to enable/disable the regen circuit. I don't show or know of anything that messes with the float circuit.

mark

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1952 Case DC-4, 2001 JD4300 MFWD, HST

Default Re: FEL Lockout

The middle position locks out the regenerative function on the bucket dump valve. If you place the lockout lever in the full-unlocked position moving the joystick to the right will dump the bucket much faster than if the lockout lever is in the middle position. You should be able to float the boom of the loader in either the middle or the full-unlocked position. Hope this helps.

Computers don't make mistakes.... What they do, they do on purpose.