John Deere 20 series question

/ John Deere 20 series question #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
I have just read the sales literature on the new 20 series. I can't find any difference between the 43 hp vs the 58 hp tractor. They seem to have the same weight, same cubic inch engine, hydraulic systems, transmissions, and all are turbocharged. I didn't read it but I assume it is an electronic controlled fuel rail system much the same as a large truck which can be setup with a laptop computer. Did they change the compression or internal components to vary the 15 hp difference? It looks like a very well designed piece and I am eager to demo one.

/ John Deere 20 series question #2  
I have had my 4720 Since Aug 2004.

I've read many of the discussions about them. A few comments made by what I assume to be deere salemen/mechanics.

The concensus seems to be that there is no difference in the engines and that it is a matter of settings.

One checked the part numbers on everything and could not find a difference between the 43 through 58 hp versions.

Kinda makes you wanna buy the 4120 and turn up the pump or turbo doesn't it !!!! But that would void warranty.

They all derive their horsepowers at the same rpm...

All that said,,, I went for the 4720 cause I wanted the power and did not want to modify anything - I wasn't interested in modifying things and certainly not voiding the warranty.

I have thoroughly been impressed with and enjoy mine....

tom

ps,,, i'm definitely an amatuer so feel free to consider I may not have a clue !!!!! but the above is my take based on what i've read...

Another note,,,,, the deere 4024t engine itself is not a new item - just new to the 4000 tractor series. I've seen them used in other applications with even higher horsepower - also the UK versions of the twenties series seem to be intercooled !!!!.....

/ John Deere 20 series question #3  
if you do a search here on tbn,,,
search for twenty series

yields much better than searching for 4120, 4320, 4520, 4720

happy hunting !!!!

/ John Deere 20 series question
Thanks for the info Tom, I wanted to do some homework before setting foot on the lot and being attacked by the salesman. My experience has been the salesperson(s) don't know alot about the products they sell and rarely get back to you with what I feel are critical issues. My current 45 hp tractor runs out of traction...don't know if 13 more would help if it wasn't loaded down with cast iron weights. How is your hydro working out? I have to do a little investigation into more return springs or something... It sticks, especially in cold weather. The addition of more computers is another issue. I bought a trailer to transport the machine which turned out to be a cost saving measure I never planned on. Thanks for the info, hope it performs as good as it looks.

/ John Deere 20 series question #5  
I love the hydro,,, Have had no issues with it to date.

I will admit I dont usually go out if its is really cold.

It does get cold here but I've never had to worry about moving snow etc so I dont get out in that kind of weather.

I had similiar experience with the salemen not knowing a lot of the specifics about the small tractors - but where I am they mostly deal with big ag tractors so I just figured it was not their specialty. They still did good - but I can certainly see it being possible for them to be more informed. I doubt they sell over 1 compact a month though - so I understand.....

The service has been good so I'm happy with my dealer overall....

tom

/ John Deere 20 series question #6  
I think it is actually a mechanical fuel rail system.

I think this because I went to the deere site and was looking at the 4024t engines in the 'replacement engines' section under generators I think it was. It said mechanical - so I'm assuming the same engine is the same weather for tractor or gen set...

Was kind of interesting reading... Talks about the fuel lines etc being integral to the block casting which eliminates leaks etc.... in theory at least /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You might go look - was some intersting information that was not listed in the tractor specifications - assuming the engines are the same.... I would think they are the same in most respects.