Chains Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere

/ Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters,

It is supposed to snow this weekend, which usually means snow for the next several weeks. Last year, I plowed with my 595 tractor, which I have now traded. My 4310 will be the new plow machine with the 6' boom mounted blade. The rear tires are loaded with Rim Guard and I have a ballast box with 420 pounds of quick attach weights I can easily put on the rear hitch. My question is whether I should also consider a set of tire chains for the rear wheels. There are very steep grades where I live and sliding may result in a long fall on some of them. Looking at my tractor, there is very little clearance between the inner tire edge and rear fender. This makes me concerned if the chains flapped, the fascia could be damaged. I also have concerns about how difficult chains are to install on such a large machine. (I have r4 tires). The last tractor I put chains on was my dad's old garden tractor. It took FOREVER and was most annoying to do. I am not excited about getting a set, but I am concerned about safety and performance without them, but have no experience. My 595 did well with loaded tires rear weights and HDAP tires, but it was a much smaller machine with a lighter, smaller blade. I also think the tread pattern of the HDAP tires would make them superior in the snow. Thanks for the help.

John M.

/ Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere #2  
I can't comment on the hills, but I use a 4310 with R4 unloaded tires, FEL and a heavy back blade and I have no traction problems except when it comes to very heavy snow that has fallen on top of ice. I will slip and slide a bit on the ice.
Good luck

Richard

/ Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere #3  
Putting chains on (the physical part of it) the R4's is not as much of a problem as putting the chains on the garden tractor, IMO.
I use a bottle jack, and raise one wheel, drape the chains over the tire, hook the back side-chain, then straighten the cross chains, before hooking the tightening binder on the outside side-chain. Takes a few minutes, and I find the chains are necessary when there is smooth ice on the drive (which I've had already this year). I don't find a need for tire chains with fresh snow, or snow that has not had a chance to melt and turn to ice. Weight and 4wd alone won't cut it on ice, IMO.

As to room between the fender and the tire, there isn't much. But I gained an inch by turning the wheels around on my 4300 with R4's. Then I made up a set of chains that did not ride down on the sidewalls of the tire, but rather nestled into the dip in the crossbars of the R-4's, or close to it. This was done by using longer side chains and shorter cross links. No problem keeping them on the tires without bungee cords (which will tear loose if spinning in an icy snow bank).

Hope this helps with your decision. This is only the second winter out of 6 that I have used the chains.

/ Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere #4  
You guys get snow in NC? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere #5  
"You guys get snow in NC?"

We even get snow on the outer banks of North Carolina /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere #6  
I have a 4300 and never have a problem with slipping with turf tires, but I plow a level area with back blade. I would not buy chains. The deepest snow fall I get each year is about 14 inches complements of Lake Michigan and it is always a blast to plow. If you have a back blade put it on instead of the balast box so you can pull the snow away from your garage doors then spin it around and keep it backwards.

Have fun

/ Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere #7  
If I don't need them on my 4310 in MI. I don't think you'll need them in NC /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I debated the same thing before our first snow and figured I'll try it without chains first and see what happens. I was able to push snow uphill and downhill with no problem. I was really surprised because there was even some ice.
I'd say just put on the front blade and have some fun.
Definitely turn on the loadmatch and 4WD.

/ Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere #8  
I gotta agree with Beenthere about the tire chains. Our terrain up here is similar to yours but we have had 2 feet of snow on the ground since Xmas. I have R4s and would be lost without the chains (for greasy mud as well). I don't use the bottle jack but just drive onto them then drape them and fasten the inside first. Pat

/ Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere #9  
Hi - I just bought a 4310 and have been thinking about chains also. One note of interest in the manual was the statement not to use chains with MFWD engaged. I thought this to be strange as if conditions warranted chains then I would think that MFWD would desired too. Are folks running chains and MFWD?

Also, I noticed two R4 tire sizes in the configurator...mine has the smaller. My JD told me that the mid chassis machines all come with the smaller R4's expressly to allow clearance for chains.

/ Tire Chains on mid fram John Deere #10  
My 4410 w/MFWD and R4s pushes and loads snow up and down hills all day long without chains. I think tire chains would get lost in the tread of the R4s and are intended for turf tires, and especially on 2WD tractors.