Tractor Not Running for Blizzard Help!!!

/ Tractor Not Running for Blizzard Help!!! #1  

Mikek101

Tractor
JD/4410
Please help

I have a 1 year old JD 4410 that is having some troubles running. After starting the tractor idles for a few seconds and then dies. I’ve checked the diesel and fuel lines and neither are frozen. I use an anti-gel adative this time of year. The tractor has been sitting for about a week in pretty cold weather. Before attempting to start it I used the engine block heater for about an hour, when I tried starting it, it seem to run for a few seconds then die. During 1 attempt I was able to drive it to the garage and back to my barn ~600ft round trip, when I got back to the barn it died again.

Can anyone suggest what may be the problem and give a quick fix? We are expecting 2-3 ft of snow tonight and I will really need my tractor tomorrow to make paths for my horse and 2 goats.

Thanks

/ Tractor Not Running for Blizzard Help!!! #2  
Check out the fuel supply system making sure there are no blockages or the filter is not plugged.

I need help too. Got a terrible cold and the storms comming tonight. And I just don't relish thoughts of going out in the morning to spend hours clearing snow. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tractor Not Running for Blizzard Help!!!
I looked at fuel filter it looks clean through the plastic, is this enough or should I remove the fuel filter to make sure its clean?

/ Tractor Not Running for Blizzard Help!!! #4  
It is a fuel problem. I would pull the filter and blow it out. Maybe it had some water get in it. I had this happen to me once.

Sorry to be ignorante,

After pulling the fuel filter out, do I need to imerse it back in disel or will the engine prime it by itself?

/ Tractor Not Running for Blizzard Help!!! #6  
I would immerse it. You can't go wrong. When you did get it started were you able to run up the RPM's or just idle it?

murph

/ Tractor Not Running for Blizzard Help!!! #7  
Be sure gasoline did not somehow get mixed with the diesel fuel. It would respond as you described if there is gas mixed with the diesel.

I got the rpms up to the max and was able to drive about 600ft

I don't think gas got mixed with the diesel, I have separate marked cans with diesel. If it is possible, would you suggest draining the tank and adding fresh diesel? If so what is the easiest way to empty the tank?

/ Tractor Not Running for Blizzard Help!!! #10  
It's probably wax on the filter, if you don't see any water in the bottom of the bowl. If you have some kerosene and have room in the tank, I'd top it off with it. Maybe siphon some out to get a 30-50% solution of kerosene and diesel. The anti-gel maybe didn't get mixed in good. There's such a small amount normally needed, but such a small amount is difficult to get totally dispersed.

If you can get a warm towel wrapped around the inltet line and fuel bowl, this may do the trick. What you actually need it probably one of those battery heater pads to put down there. Wire in a cigar heater to plug it into.

I once started my old 1973 Benz diesel with an engine water heater at -20 F in Vermont. Started instantly but died a couple miles down the road. After sitting a couple minutes, it fired up. Drove another couple miles. Died again. Sat a couple minutes and restarted. After this, it was fine. The fuel filter sits right up against the engine on Benzes though. Think they should have put the fuel filter up against the engine on JDs, too. Wax freezes out on the filter surfaces and will coat it and make passage of fuel impossible. A little warmth melts the wax. You likely won't be able to see it on the filter. It'll be white or water-clear.

I worked for 31 years on lube oil dewaxing plants around the world. Know a bit about wax. It's great lubricating oil, but some of it will actually solidify even in summer temperatures.

Ralph