Oil & Fuel Diesel fuel and cold Weather

/ Diesel fuel and cold Weather #1  

jhortonvt

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310
What do you all use as an additive for your diesel fuel in the winter. I live in Vermont and have gotten a lot of suggestions; like cutting 1/4 Kero to 3/4 Diesel, to not doing anything because around here it is supposed to be cut in a similar fashion by the fuel dealers.
A friend gave me some "Diesel Fuel Conditioner with Anti-Gel" that I am going to use, but I was curious what the common practice is.

4310 eHydro
59" Front Snowblower
300CX FEL
LX5

/ Diesel fuel and cold Weather #2  
Deere Winter Diesel Treatment is highly rated. Stanadyne is what Cummins recommends. Both are good choices. Better to have none than the wrong one!

/ Diesel fuel and cold Weather #3  
I use Powerservice. It has saved me from cleaning the gel out of the filters when it's real cold...

John

/ Diesel fuel and cold Weather #4  
2 weeks ago it seemed every compact tractor we had out was gelling up. Due to the lack of snow, a lot of them sat around from oct/nov with fuel from last summer, so now that we finally got some snow, the tractors started gelling.
We were telling people that if they had summer fuel, it would be ok to mix it to 50/50 with kero, plus use the Stanadyne additives. If they did have winter blend, we asked them to find out what that fuel station used, and make any adjustment from there. Again, conditioner and ice breaker as needed.

The shop has said they would recommend up to 60% kero in extreme temps... and we had -25 for a couple mornings here.

I guess it all comes down to where you live, what the suppliers offer for a winter blend, and how the tractor is used. It seemed the ones that sat all winter until now were the worst, trying to run on summer fuel.

We sell Stanadyne, and recommend their fuel conditioner for year-round use.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Diesel fuel and cold Weather #6  
(yea?)

who makes the JD product?

/ Diesel fuel and cold Weather #7  
We use powerservice. We don't cut the diesel at all with kerosene. Lowers your cetane and has no lubricating properties. We have temps down to 20 and 30 below zero and never had a gelling issue. The powerservice raises the cetane level, increases lubricating properties, and cleans the injectors as well as other benefits.

It's also cheaper than cutting with kerosene.

/ Diesel fuel and cold Weather #8  
I have heard the talk about kero not having lubrication properties of diesel..

somebody said you could burn straight kerosene, if you mixe a little motor oil in it... ??

are there major differences between powerservice and stanadyne?

/ Diesel fuel and cold Weather #10  
JD, Stanadyne, or Powerservice will do the job. All three are good products.