Can one get a dual rear wheel for a JD?

/ Can one get a dual rear wheel for a JD? #1  

Jkline

Just bought 20 acres, some of it awfully steep. Unfortunately a crawler isn't very practical. I'm probably going to buy one of the 3000 twenty series: the JD dealer is only 4 miles away. As I'm in the country, I can drive the tractor there for maintenance. Unfortunately they seem to not know much about their cuts, as they mainly deal in big ag equipment. They don't even have a cut on their lot. Anyway, 1/2 of the big ag tractors in their lot have dual rear wheels, and I would sure like to have the wider wheel base as an extra insurance policy. So can anybody tell me if this is possible on JD's smaller tractors?

Thanks,

Jeff

/ Can one get a dual rear wheel for a JD? #2  
How heavy is the axle on a 3000 twenty? Duals do put more stress on the axle but that can be reduced some what by running low pressure in the outer wheel. I put dual 12-16.5 R4's on the B7610 kubota at work. We operate on some extremely steep dikes. The stability difference is huge. Much much safer. It also rides much nicer. I built our own duals but unvenferth builds what they call small diameter duals and have a photo of a 855 with duals on their web site. I built ours using custom rolled band type spacers, rims, eye nuts and J hooks. As long as the rim on the tractor has unused holes where you can run a bolt through and a lip in the bead area where a band can hold against it's possible. Good luck

/ Can one get a dual rear wheel for a JD? #3  
I'd think they could make them to attach where wheel weights would attach.

I put duals on my walkbehind Gravely. It virtually doubles the traction but also puts a lighter footprint on grass so it'll easily pop up for the next mowing round.

On the Gravely, the dual wheel cast assembly is bolted to the first wheel through long bolts that replace the short bolts holding the wheel on. Doubt this will work in bigger tractors, as the bolts would get awful long and probably couldn't be made strong enough.

Ralph

/ Can one get a dual rear wheel for a JD? #4  
If it's strictly for stability, wouldn't moving the wheels out as far as the outside wheels in a dual configuration produce the same effect? I understand there are other advantages, but it seems like that might be an option.

Cliff

/ Can one get a dual rear wheel for a JD? #5  
I have R1s set full wide. It is very stable on hy very hilly place. If I were doing it over, I would get R1W radials, which are wider than mine. I bet it would cost less than duals...

/ Can one get a dual rear wheel for a JD? #6  
Depending on what other features you need and chores you have in mind - you might want to consider going to a bigger tractor range. The 5000 series have adjustable rear AND front wheel settings. The 3000 and 4000 CUTs don't really allow much if any adjustment on the front wheels.

While bigger than the mid-sized 3000-Twenty CUTs you're looking at, a 5105/5205 in MFWD isn't really very much larger physically than the 4000-Twenty CUTs (and can actually be a little less expensive.) But they have the 8-way adjustable fronts to match treads with the rears. They may also have the ability to go to duals.

The 5000-Twenty and 5000-Twenty-Five series are a little bigger and heavier yet (and more expen$ive) but the '05 series might be worth looking at if you're serious about a wide stance.