optima batteries--quick questtion

/ optima batteries--quick questtion #1  

flemdog

Tractor
JD 4310
I have a 4310 and just took it to the dealer because the battery leaked. They replaced the battery and oil cooler and I want to use the optima battery (red top) I think from reading tbn.articles from a year or so. Could someone maybe remember the model number that fits the 4310 and any other advice that would be helpful. thanks very much.

/ optima batteries--quick questtion #2  
I use the Red top group 34/78s for my trucks and will do this with my 3720 provided it fits. I'm not sure what group size is needed.

For tractor/top post only, the Group 34/34R unit wil work.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/starter/technical_specs.html

Interstate has them also:

http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/products/product_autosealed.asp

SC34U has both terminals (you can keep the side posts covered and SC34 A and R are top only.

I always go for more CCA and reserve capacity if it fits.

/ optima batteries--quick questtion #3  
Most of us use the Yellow top D51R. Fits perfectly, I haven't had one problem since I switched,

Mine was about $100 from Remy Battery.

/ optima batteries--quick questtion #4  
Yep the 51R yellow top fits. I don't think any red top will work. Note that you'll have to fabricate your own battery hold down as the factory one won't "grab" the bottom of the Optima batteries. I used a generic hold down kit and it worked.

Also you can find the Optimas 51R stocked at Sears or Autozone if they're in your area.

/ optima batteries--quick questtion #5  
Crabgrass,
Where did you get the generic hold-down kit?
Steve Z

/ optima batteries--quick questtion
crabgrass and rrf: So you guys are saying go with yellow top battery instead of the red top because it is a better battery. Does it have more amps than the red top, more durable? Thanks

/ optima batteries--quick questtion #8  
Optima doesn't make a red top in a 51R package. Only yellow. A little disappointing simply because the yellow has a shorter warranty and costs about $20 more, but hey it works, and I don't have to worry about the battery eating through my hydaulic cooler lines anymore.

/ optima batteries--quick questtion #9  
You're right, the space is pretty narrow. Also blocks the direct air flow to the oil cooler...

/ optima batteries--quick questtion #10  
The yellow top is designed to take deeper discharges. It should stand up to heavy loads better. But the biggest feature is it fits and works.

Yellow looks better in a Deere, anyway...