Tires flat tire, damn!

/ flat tire, damn! #1  

mlmartin

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 870
Just as I was going to get the camera, too.

I was about to take a picture of my JD 870 with a 7 foot long granite billet hanging on two chains from the FEL. I was placing it in front of the front barn door. I heard a loud hissing and observed a very flat tire on the right front. The air was escaping around the valve stem. I guess the tube ripped as the tire looks fine. I had just had tubes put in because there were multiple patches in the front tires that were the sources of slow leaks.

I have been carrying heavy loads of gravel, fill and loam in the FEL for the last several days. The turf tires really don't carry the weight and turn without some really scary deformation. I think the weight of the billet and the high turning forces I was using to position it were a bad combination. I've moved this billet a few times, so it wasn't just the weight. Then again, it was the first time I moved it with just the box blade as ballast. The backhoe tends to unweight the front wheels a lot more.

I have an estimate for $150 to install flat proofing in each front tire. It didn't seem worthwhile at the time. If I can't get the tube repaired by Satureday, $300 will look like a bargain. My wifes's new pony will end up being boarded for another month. That's $500.

Matthew

/ flat tire, damn! #2  
OK OK I ain't gotta Deere B U T I got a flat today and the Firestone Industrials are so new that the little rubber feeler thingies aren't worn off yet, even on the tread. Either a beer bottle (ought to be an open season on lliterers) or a stob, I was brush hoggin and the uneven terrain makes me cut off some saplings too close to ground (leave tire killers). I prefer to leave longer stumps as they are usually shattered and being longer can be driven over with impunity or a pickup.

Patrick

/ flat tire, damn! #3  
Re: flat tire NO!-16 Ply Super Tires damn!

log_f23dtl_c_tire.jpg

Eliminate Flats with this Super 16 Ply from Firestone

16 Ply-Industrial/Logger, 20,400 lb. Load rating

No rear tire weights are required, because each tire weighs 1563 lbs.

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

/ flat tire, damn! #4  

WOW! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Now that's a tire everyone could use....but then we all would need more hp to turn em.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Darin

/ flat tire, damn!
One $25, while-I-waited repair later ...

The billet is now in place, sorry, no pictures. The tube had sustained a three cornered tear. My local service place (Case/IH dealer) doesn't stock weird (JD) tube sizes. They patched it and I'm off again.

At $25 per repair, it wouldn't take many flats to cost $150. Mayme that flat proofing for the fronts can be worked into the budgets (financial and time).

Got to go. The last of 100 tons of stone dust has arrived and it won't spread itself.

Matthew

/ flat tire, damn! #6  
$25 What a deal, I paid $50 today. $35 labor and $15 materials (tubeless) Firestone 17 5L 24 6 ply industrials. I still say there ought to be an open season on literers, maybe a bounty, or at least an automatic justifiable homicide tag (like a deer tag) you could fill out and put on their toe and leave them beside the road for the roadside trash pickers to handle. (Realizing the delicate sensibilities of many readers, I heavily censored my comments, toning them down about 25-30 dB.)

Patrick

/ flat tire, damn! #7  

What do they weigh in size to fit L4610??

On way back from tire shop was passed by a B I G truck with a large articulated arm on it resting on a large tire. Apparently the arm with its grippers (like an early robot) can lift, translate, and rotate to place the tire onto the equipment. Her commment, "That's what we need." She isn't happy when I handle things I can't pick up."

Patrick

/ flat tire, damn!
No bottle deposit in your state? Bottles and cans on the side of the road are a real rarity in Massachusetts.

Matthew

/ flat tire, damn! #9  
Matthew, we don't have a bottle or can deposit in Texas either./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif You can sell aluminum cans; last I knew they would bring $.35 a pound; not much incentive./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Personally, I wish they'd go back to returnable glass bottles for both beer and soda.

Bird

/ flat tire, damn! #10  
We've had a deposit law in Michigan for 20 years or so. The bounty is 10 cents. The only thing on the roadside is the occasional guy putting his kid through college by picking up. Then again, most stores have entire sheds devoted to storing the things.