Black Oil

/ Black Oil #1  

glagen

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310 & X595
Folks,
I can't help but notice how black the oil is in my X595. I just gave it a 150hr change a week ago and it was pitch black after 50 hrs of use. When I checked the dip stick yesterday, the new oil is already jet black. I use all JD oil and filters on my machines. Is this typical of diesel engines or should I be concerned?
Steve Z

/ Black Oil #2  
When I ran conventional oil I changed it every 50 hours and it was black. I now run synthetic and run it 100 hours.

If you're really concerned, spend $10 and have a used oil analysis performed. I think it's money well spent and have used the results to extend my oil changes 2x-3x.

Extended runs, better cold starts, better gas mileage and less environmental waste are all benefits of using synthetics. I wont get into the arguement about less wear, I've run gas engines 200K+ on conventional oils with no issues.

/ Black Oil #3  
In general , diesel oil will become black alot faster than gas engines. I dont think its anything to be concerned about.

/ Black Oil #4  
it is because of the soot from the engine gets in the oil making it look black its no problem the oil is still good

/ Black Oil #5  
the reason you're oil is turning black is due to the sulfur that is in diesel fuel. the oil is still fine. if you would feel better about the oil keeping that fresh look i would recommend that you change you're oil now and then again in another 20 hrs,after that change it every 50 hrs. although you do not need to change it that often, the oil will always look fresh and for the cost of the oil and filters required,the engine will certainly appreciate the service.

/ Black Oil #6  
It's blow-by soot in the oil. On my Benz, the oil turns black soon as I start the engine after a change. Haven't had it turn black yet on the 4010, but it'll get there. Changed at 13 hours, and it has 14 more now on Mobil 1.

It's not sulfur; however, the sulfur will tend to cause some impurities in dino oil to blacken. No impurities in Mobil 1 to turn black from sulfur contribution.

Ralph

/ Black Oil #7  
It is only soot it is not sulfur it is Carbon since diesel is cetane it has a few more molecules of Carbon in it than a gas (octane) molecule does. It is no big deal, every diesel will do this change it when your supposed to and don't worry.