Torque Wrench

/ Torque Wrench #1  

JohniusMaximus

Tractor
John Deere 790
My new JD 790 has just a tick over 1 hour on it now and the book says to check wheel bolt torque. Here's the problem: the only torque wrench I could find is about 18 inches long and it will not fit correctly where I can get the socket over the bolt. The end of the handle hits the tire and the socket is on the bolt at an angle. I've looked at Sears, Lowes, Home Depot and a few local hardware stores and cannot find a shorter torque wrench that's 1/2" drive.

Is there a certain brand I should look for? What do you use? The new toy needs maintenance and I can't find the proper tool! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Torque Wrench #2  
Just use an extension between the torque wrench and the socket.

/ Torque Wrench
Well now I feel like an idiot. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Torque Wrench #4  
We've all been there at some point in our lives /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Best to ask the question and get your answer than do something dangerous or destructive to your new machine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Torque Wrench #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I feel like an idiot )</font>

Yeah, I've been there myself more times than I like to remember. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Torque Wrench #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well now I feel like an idiot. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Don't worry, dude...it qualifies you to become a DEA agent and to lecture about violence in schools.

/ Torque Wrench
HA! I will NOT shoot myself in the leg. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Torque Wrench #8  
While you're at it, get a couple different lengths extensions. And if you're not in too deep with the wife, get both a "Standard" and Metric set of deep set 1/2" drive sockets. You'll still be short several socket sizes but, I have become convinced that a CUT is more like one's first "fix-r-upper" car....the best excuse I know of to by the "proper" tool(s). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Torque Wrench #9  
ok guys,be careful here,,,,,,,,,,, as a pro-tech of 20 yrs., i have lots of tools on hand,anyway, just keep in mind that a torque wrench is a very sensitive instrument. it is designed to provide a way to measure a fastener's tension so as not to exceed the value of a bolts given strength,length and diamater and clamping force needed dictate the value of the measurement. so when and if you use an extension with you're torque wrench you also need to adjust the amount of torque you apply as force is lost through the extension. the longer the extension used,the more torque that is lost.
just wanted to give you something to think about,,,,,,,,,,,

/ Torque Wrench #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the longer the extension used,the more torque that is lost.
just wanted to give you something to think about,,,,,,,,,,, )</font>

Hmmmm. You sure did give us something to think about /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Now that I've thought about it, I can't see how that could be true. Are you thinking that because the extension twists out of shape a little when you apply torque to one end that less torque gets through to the other end? With all possible friendliness /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, I believe you may be mistaken there. This is like saying that when you pull on the end of a wrench not all of the torque makes it to the nut because the wrench flexes a little bit. Or when you pull on one end of a spring, not all of your force makes it to the other end because the spring stretches a bit.

Regards and Respect,

Tom