The white smoke video (on startup)

/ The white smoke video (on startup) #1  

tillboy2001

Gold Member
Those of you that remember my white smoke on startup problem, well here's a video. Unfortunately it didn't do it for long THIS time when I got the camera out (of course it always happens that way, right). Anyway, when it first starts and you see the heavy smoke and rough idle - it does this for about 5 minutes sometimes. This time it only did it for a few seconds. The JD mechanic is coming out tomorrow to replace something the JD engineer told him to replace. Hope that fixes it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Current version of Windows Media Player required to view this 4.4MB video. Video is HERE

/ The white smoke video (on startup) #2  
This really looks like a bad injector. White smoke like that would indicate an injector that's leaking. By leaking, I mean out the tip, into the cylinder. The white smoke is caused by unburned fuel. If left unchecked, it could leak past the rings, and contaminate the engine oil with fuel. Mfr's do not like to replace injectors, because it is expensive. Don't give them any slack on this, make them fix it.

Just my humble opinion.

/ The white smoke video (on startup) #3  
Doesn't look too scary to me. My 990 does that as well. Usually for longer than that too. In fact, if it's cold out (-20 say) it'll be belching out white smoke for quite a while - to the point where I can hardly see anything in the yard any more /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Also, until the engine is nicely warmed up, if I give it a lot of throttle, the smoke intensifies and the engine sputters a bit. Most likely the excess raw fuel cooling things down even more.

Once the engine is warm, however, everything is fine.

While different engine designs may do this to different degrees, I believe the initial white smoke is pretty normal.

Out of curiosity, how about we take a poll to see if we can correlate engine make and design, ambient temp, etc. with the amount of initial smoke we see.

Anyone interested can post their engine make, injection method, whether it has glow plugs, and some idea of how much smoke and for how long for a given temperature.

I'll start:

John Deere 990, Yanmar engine, direct injection, air intake preheater (no glow plugs).
In normal summer temps for here (say 20 deg C), there is little smoke - visible but not much and only for a minute or two.
At around freezing there will be fairly heavy smoke for maybe 4 or 5 minutes.
At -20 or -30 C there will be severe smoke for probably 10 minutes.

This is all WITHOUT a block heater.

Anyone else?

/ The white smoke video (on startup)
If what you see in the video is ALL it was doing, I wouldn't worry about it. The mechanic also thought it was normal when I explained it on the phone...until he came out ans saw it for himself. It can literally smoke very heavy and run rough for up to 5 minutes. Revving the engine didn't help...just letting it sit and warm up did. It never did this in the winter. Just started a few months ago when it warmed up. It will start and run fine after the engine is warmed up. I can always get it to stop if when I notice the heavy smoke I turn it off immediately and then restart it after the glow plug cycle again.

John Deere 4024T engine, quick acting glow plugs, direct injection i believe. Heavy smoke on startup even when outside temp is 70 degrees if the engine sits overnight.

/ The white smoke video (on startup) #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In fact, if it's cold out (-20 say) )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dude, you need to move a little farther south /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ The white smoke video (on startup) #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Heavy smoke on startup even when outside temp is 70 degrees if the engine sits overnight. )</font>

This points to an injector problem. As the engine sits, the injector leaks, and creates the problem. After it is fixed, you need to change the oil.

/ The white smoke video (on startup) #7  
Lean on your dealer to make sure they fix it if it is an injector or pump issue. Make them fix it while its under warranty.

Another thought: Are there glow plug in this motor (direct injection)? If there are, check them for a bad one. If not, is there a heat screen or some other pre-heater which may be malfunctioning?

/ The white smoke video (on startup)
There are glow plugs -
JD Site:
- Direct injected for better cold weather starting
- Common rail fuel system provides more uniform fuel delivery

From the manual:

9. For cold weather starting, use the glow plug. Activate the glow plug by pushing in the ignition key switch. Pre-glow for 10 seconds, holding the key in while cranking the engine. When the engine starts, continue to push in the key until the engine runs smoothly.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Do not operate starter more than 20 seconds. If engine does not start, wait 2 minutes before trying again or starter may be damaged. If engine does not start after four tries, see Electrical Problems in Troubleshooting section.

10. Turn key switch to the start position. Release key when engine starts.

11. Check instrument panel indicator lights:

· Engine oil pressure light should go out within 5 seconds.

· Alternator/battery charging light should go out within 10 seconds.

12. Set engine speed at full throttle if indicator light does not go out after 10 seconds. If indicator light continues to stay on, stop the engine and check for cause.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! In cold weather, run engine several minutes to allow engine oil and transmission oil to warm.

NOTE: It is normal for the engine to be louder and for blue-white exhaust smoke to be present during engine warm-up. The amount of exhaust smoke depends on air temperature.
*END MANUAL QUOTE*

The mechanic said he talked to an engineer at John Deere and they suggested first replacing this sensor. When the part arrived, the mechanic said it looks more like a thermostat and it was supposed to help the tractor warm up faster. So he says. I have no reason to doubt them so far. They've always been good to us. If this doesn't fix it, I'll call them back and we'll start over.

/ The white smoke video (on startup) #9  
<font color="blue"> Dude, you need to move a little farther south </font>

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It snowed a little bit last night. Highs for the next 4 or 5 days are right around freezing. Last week it was over +20C for a couple days. Next week its supposed to go back up again. Temps are like a Yo-Yo around here.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ The white smoke video (on startup) #10  
I agree that heavy smoke for 5 minutes at 70 deg. ambient temp sounds like something isn't quite right. I'll try the turn it off and then back on again thing with mine and see what happens. Actually, the fact that doing that stops the smoke on your machine indicates it isn't just a cold engine issue. The engine temp wouldn't go up drastically by shutting it off and then starting it again, so it sounds like some sort of sensor or electronic control related issue.