Modifying loader joystick on 4020 series?

/ Modifying loader joystick on 4020 series? #1  

bam747

Silver Member
Palmer Divide in El Paso County, Colorado
Tractor
John Deere 4720 (2007)
Let me preface this question with the following...

I am 6' 7" tall and, well, lets just say weigh around 350 lbs. This means there is pretty much nothing on this planet designed to be even remotely ergonomically correct for someone way outside even the proverbial 90th percentile.

So...

The crook in the loader joystick lever on a 4020 series tractor which so conveniently bends over the top of a normal person's leg hits me at about mid knee.

It would appear to me that I could simply heat up and re-bend (then re-paint) the joystick lever to keep it from hitting my leg. Given that my arms are also long (40" sleeve length), I would have no trouble at all reaching the joystick even it it was completely straight.

Another alternative modification would be to cut the joystick at its lower straight section and then weld in an extension made out of tubing with an ID that would accept the OD of the joystick. This way, the factory crook in the joystick could remain in tact but could be made 6" or so higher.

Does anyone have any reason I shouldn't make either of these modifications?

/ Modifying loader joystick on 4020 series? #2  
Sounds like a good fix to me.

Which tractor in the series do you have?

/ Modifying loader joystick on 4020 series? #3  
If it were me (and me being paranoid) I would price and make sure I could get a replacement rod from Deere - then modify that and probably keep the original around in case it's ever needed to put things back to original (resale time).

Sure you need to heat it? Sounds like you could probably make the adjustment by hand! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually - sounds like a mod my FIL would make to a tractor (not that he's your size) - but he'd probably thread the remaining joystuck "stubs" (one right-hand and one left-hand thread) - then use a hollow shaft with matching threads and locknuts to make an adjustable length joystick. But he's got a lot of time to kill (retired and always looking for a project).

/ Modifying loader joystick on 4020 series? #4  
If you are considering buying this tractor, why not ask the dealer to make the modificaton for you? He may throw that in on the deal, and even Deere might pick up the tab. Or even if they would do it at a reasonable cost, it still might be fine. If not, I see no problem making thre change,

/ Modifying loader joystick on 4020 series? #5  
Bam, I'm a little smaller, 6' 2" 260. When I bought my 4700 I had the dealer do a cold bend in the loader stick so I could fit in the seat comfortably without hitting the stick with my knee, Works fine. I don't think I would like it any higher, but I'm not your height either.

David