John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it?

/ John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it? #1  

JD2210MAN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
I am wondering if anyone has disabled their PTO safety switch that John Deere uses to shut off their PTO when the reverse Hydro pedal is pressed. The lawn tractor is a 345 (2000 year with the 20HP). Again, you have to pull up on the switch every time you press the reverse pedal and if not... the PTO shuts off.

I have not looked too delpy at it yet and thought someone must have disabled it by now, on their own. Is there an easy way? Does anyone have a wiring diagram they could post as an attachment for the 345? I am so glad my 2210 does not have it, I can back up all I want on that tractor.

I hope to hear some good info! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it? #2  
I was looking at one a couple years back. The dealer told me to put something under the switch on the dash and hold it up all the time.
I ended up buying a 2210 instead.
Charlie

/ John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it? #3  
You should be able to find the back side of the switch where it penetrates the dash. There will probably only be 2 wires on it,if so you can just place a jumper across them. I do not own a 345 ,but have done this on other models.If the wires are conected with spade type, consider using piggyback conectors and you wouldn't have to cut any of your factory wires.

/ John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it? #4  
this will be my third season with the pto switch and am still on the fence.

Its only a little aggrevating when i forget to pull the button. You do know that you can let go of the button after you start moving backwards?

I had no problem jumping the seat activated pto on my cut when I added the backhoe. Technically or emotionally /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it? #5  
On my GT245 it was under the fender in the back, when you operate the reverse, the linkage hits a pressure switch. There is an adjustment for that switch. You can move the switch and make it work in reverse if you only press the pedal slightly, or you can take the bolt off and flip the switch over so it doesn't engage at all. You just need to weigh the safety issues before doing so.

/ John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it? #6  
I removed the reverse interlock on my 335. I had to remove one bolt from the rear hydro linkage. This bolt contacts the safety switch when you press reverse. It is under the seat/deck sheet metal on the RH side of the tractor. I didn't have to do anything with the PTO switch. Hard to find, but it can be removed. I lived with it for one season of mowing/snowblowing before we got a "divorce". I didn't mind it too much when mowing, but it was a major hassle withs snowblowing where you're backing up all the time.

Since it's one bolt I can easily restore the function when I sell the tractor.

My other "reverse" mod was to redrill one of the hydro pedal mounting brackets to hold the pedal up higher - now my reverse speed is faster than before and more on par with the older "pre-RIO" 345 I had.

/ John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it?
This is all good information. It is actually my neighbor's 345 and I hear him cursing it all the time. He came over the other day asking me to do this for him and I warned him about the lawsuit aspect after I make the mod (as one of you TBN members reminded me of) and he said he knows. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will try to get out there this weekend and see if it is going to be easier to remove the switch on the hydro trans or just jumper the switch on the dash. Both are great ideas and easy to do.

Why did Deere ever do this? I have never chopped anybody up when I mowed with my craftsman, nor have I with my 2210 (much taller and harder to see) which also does not have this crazy "safety" feature. I guess thinking back to Buisness Law in college... it only takes one fool and a lawsuit to create the need for a warning sticker and in this case.. an anoying "safety" feature. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it? #8  
I'd not want to be involved doing this to someone else's tractor. If they can't figure out the mechanics of doing it themselves, then I would have some suspicions that they might be of the type the safety switch is supposed to protect. Just my opinion though. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We have it because of lawyers and suits and liberal judges and juries. It won't go away.
The Cub Cadet company was the first sued and lost years back. Their response was to kill the engine if trying to mow in reverse (as I have heard). Deere at least allowed the user to physically over-ride the switch shutting down the mower, but it didn't shut down the tractor.

The idea that someone can back over a kid that they don't know is there is pretty frightening to me, because I won't mow when anyone is around (that I am aware of), but I see people mowing a lot with others in the path of a projectile coming out of the mower deck. Gives me the shakes when I see the potential of a lost eye or worse.

I dismantled my reverse switch. I wouldn't do it for anyone else, but will tell them that it isn't rocket science to figure out how on their own.

Just don't get caught within a lawsuit as being the one who removed that safety feature. Slim chance, but is it worth the risk. Most people adjust to it (I tried with the last new mower purchase, and finally decided it was less safe holding the reverse switch up and not looking back, than the alternative way I have it now). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it? #9  
From a liability standpoint, when ever a mower comes into our shop with any switch disabled, it has to be functioning when it leaves the shop. This includes that annoying plastic grass windrowing contraption on the discharge side of the mower deck. If the mower comes in with out the chute, it has to have one before it leaves the shop. This is according to our insurance company. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ John Deere PTO reverse safety switch. disable it? #10  
No problems with that at Dealers in this area.