Not so tall tale involving my 3720 tractor

/ Not so tall tale involving my 3720 tractor #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters,

We all at times like to talk about the the feats our beloved machines can perform, but something occurred yesterday that really impressed me about the capabilities of my new 3720. About five months ago, an investor logged out an area across from my home with a bulldozer/skidder and a small crew to build a driveway for potentially a new homesite. One problem, the "driveway" is so steep, only the bulldozer could navigate it. (It is well over 30% and rutted dirt). After the site was done, I attempted to climb up this grade on my then 4310 and see how far it went. I made it about 100' in four wheel drive before grinding to a halt. I did not attempt it further. This week, a load of gravel appeared at the base and yesterday a dump truck and old Massey Ferguson with a rear blade were hovered at the base of the "drive". I was smoothing my gravel drive across the road with my new 3720 and BB combo and stopped to ask about the project. Turned out the the dump truck could not go but about fifty feet up the drive to dump the extra gravel. The Massey, with two wheel drive, could not negotiate the dirt climb at all, even with its 5' rear box blade in the up position. Recalling the difficulty I had climbing the grade before I mentioned I would be willing to try to climb the slick hill and see if I could help. I put the tractor in four wheel drive, and in A range (no loadmatch) and off I went. The 3720 climbed the hill without a struggle, all the way to the top. I then went back down and bucketed about forty buckets of gravel up and down the grade, many of them in "b" range!! I then smoothed and leveled with the box blade (including pulling it uphill which the tractor would do). The tractor had little trouble doing this. The crew watching was impressed and one even said he was going to look at one "just like mine" for himself!! Turns out they were concerned they would have to re-call the track loader crew, so money and time were saved for them, and I had a great time!!! This does not mean of course that the drive will ever be useable by cars, though. Even after I was done, the dump truck still could not climb the grade, but I was very impressed by this machine's ability in such a situation. As I suspected, it does offer some benefits over my previous 4310. Just wanted to share.

John M

/ Not so tall tale involving my 3720 tractor #2  
Good story!

I am surprised your 4310 couldn't get up the slope, however. It had the power to do so. This is the second time I've read about a 4310 having troubles with slopes it should be able to handle. Both were hydrostatic transmissions. I wonder if the tractor with a sync-shift could have done it...

/ Not so tall tale involving my 3720 tractor #3  
It may well be the tires. IIRC, he has the larger tires. I did some woods work this winter and the 4310 had a tough time. The 4710 was a bit better. I didn't get my 3720 in time to do much wirk, but I did drop my blade and plow the woods trails (uphill slightly) where the others struggled a LOT.

Filled larger R4 tires. The Galaxy lug pattern may well be superior.

I will say that the power of the 3720 has been great so far allowing me to do most everuything in B range. The only reason I've used A so far was to slow down movement in tight situations...

/ Not so tall tale involving my 3720 tractor #4  
Enjoyed the report on the hill 'climb'.

As far as the steep drive, it's just one good reason why we are having committee's involved now in regulating what people can and cannot do. Imagine a home up there and the fire department or rescue team trying to get to the top? or after a rainstorm, replacing all the gravel that washes down the drive? or the construction trucks delivering concrete and building materials to the 'site'. We have a 12% rule here for slope of a drive, and lots of people don't like it becuase it limits where a drive can go. Sorry to detract from your thread.

I find my R-4's won't go where the R-1's on my old tractor used to go. But still prefer the R-4's. My 3520 will have the smaller R-4's because they are higher ply rating. The smaller diameter tire will also transfer more power to the wheels, and I think will give more traction as the footprint will be smaller (i.e same weight on smaller print = more traction, albeit less flotation) - IMO.

/ Not so tall tale involving my 3720 tractor #5  
great story - thanks for sharing. Looking forward to getting a new 3000 20 series in the near future. Have fun with yours

Brad

/ Not so tall tale involving my 3720 tractor #6  
I'm just dying here.

I think some of you guys know that I was originally going to take a new 4310 off of a buddies hands, but you guys talked me into getting a 20 series.
My 3520 came in, but with the wrong tires.
So, being deflated a little, I re-ordered a 3720 just to make the extra wait worth it.
Hopefully, it'll be here this week.

/ Not so tall tale involving my 3720 tractor #7  
jcmseven,

I hold you responsible for putting me in serious debt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI am ordering a 3720 with MMM and 448 hoe soon to the tune of around 35K. Your posts about yours have certainly fueled my fire and desire.
Thanks (I think) Shooter

/ Not so tall tale involving my 3720 tractor #8  
Hope all of you guys getting 3720s keep up with posts once you get your new "toy" love hearing these types of stories. keep the pictures coming. I think I am slowly moving toward some serious debt myself. Cheers

/ Not so tall tale involving my 3720 tractor #10  
So - since it's so steep, what are the gonna use it for? They couldn't put any fill in to lessen the slope? Sounds like you need a camera, so you can post pictures!