Leaking loader cylinders on 400x loader

/ Leaking loader cylinders on 400x loader #1  

bth

I just got my new 4320 with 400x loader. I have only moved a couple of buckets of loose topsoil with it so far, but noticed that the seals on the front loader cylnders are leaking. I had small (4") puddles on the floor in the garage. Anyone else had this problem? The tractor wasn't overworked (not that the cylinders should go bad - the loader should handle whatever hydraulic output the machine generates in my opinion). I haven't contacted my dealer yet...

/ Leaking loader cylinders on 400x loader #2  
I'd contact the dealer, promptly, if mine. I wouldn't expect it either.

I would cycle the FEL to the top and down several times, and inpect the cylinder rod for paint, as well as nicks possibly from shipping. I doubt it is normal and would also doubt both would be leaking about equally.

I'd also look closely that it isn't coming from the hyd. tubing connections that I think are assembled by the dealer and may have been overlooked or not snugged up tight enough (although, they are only on one side, not getting at both sides).

You can't overwork those cylinders enough to cause the seals to leak, IMO.

/ Leaking loader cylinders on 400x loader
Dealer claims the seals may just need reconditioning after sitting in storage for a while. He suggests using it normally for a week or so and seeing if the problem goes away.

/ Leaking loader cylinders on 400x loader #4  
"Re-conditioning" ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Guess he is hoping the problem will go away too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Leaking loader cylinders on 400x loader #5  
Yeah, that's a good one

/ Leaking loader cylinders on 400x loader #6  
The one other thing I was going to mention is to always make sure that there is no pressure on any hydraulic cylinders when parked for extended periods, like over night. Make sure you put the FEL bucket level and all the way to the ground, and same with backhoe, either make sure it is locked in place with the pins or set the bucket on the ground. WHen the machine is parked and shut off with weight on the cylinders the oil is going to want to go somewhere and it is usually out the cylinder seals or it will wear them out prematurely. Just something I have learned over the years operating heavy equipment.

/ Leaking loader cylinders on 400x loader #7  
I've done a few hours worth of heavy work with our 400X loader and it's always been dry as a bone - no drips/seepage anywhere.