John Deere rotary cutter reputation

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #1  

LabLuvR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
I have looked at the Bushhog, Woods and other brands. The only one I seem to have looked over, until today, was the John Deer. The LX6 or MX6 look like good machines and priced comparable to other brands. I don't much about their reliability etc and was wondering if someone could tell me a bit about the reputation of these cutters? Thanks!

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #2  
Seems like every on here with an MX series cutter is pretty pleased with it, myself included. I believe that apples-to-apples they are priced fairly competitively with equivalent cutters with the same features from the other higher-end makers. The LX is built quite a bit lighter, I don't think anyone here has reported any actual trouble with them, but there's a big difference between the two series.

If you are looking to buy a new tractor, Deere usually has some kind of 'multi-implement' rebate worth a few hundred dollars. Buy the cutter with the tractor and FEL - and it helps the deal just that little bit more.

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #3  
I'll second timb's comment. My MX-5 is just what I need. I mow down 2"+ hardwood saplings like they were fescue. If you have heavy brush to clear, I would go with an MX. If it is weeds and shrubby growth, an LX might be enough, but upgrade from the shear pin to a slip clutch drive line.

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #4  
I have an MX6. It is awesome!

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #5  
I have the older 513 series...which was very light...( I was dissapointed after 2 weeks)...but I spent a day beefing it up and I love it now......it should last for years...but the LX and MX series are great looking....I think John Deere done there homework on the LX and MX.................

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #6  
I went with the MX5 and intend to make a skid steer carier attach point for it si I can carry it out front and run it via a PTO pump and hydraulic motor.

Don't get in my way... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #7  
how do you spell 'rear ballast'... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #8  
Rear ballast is rarely an issue with a skid steer -- mine at least. But, let me tell you how much fun it is to run it with nothing on the arms at all. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You might be right, though. The hydro motor will add even more weight and that MX-5 will be sticking WAY out there.

Take pictures and let us know how it works, KD. I might want to do the same! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #9  
Do ya' really want to be riding behind a rotary cutter running through the rough stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Especially sitting down low in a skid steer seat!

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #10  
The ballast will be the tank and pump etc. I lifted up a Rhino SM60 at 1064# or so (no ballast) to get the feel of it and it was very HEAVY. I had trouble rolling it back. I did the same with my MX5 with the forklift tines and it wasn't all that bad, especially considering I lose the weight of the tines. Now I did have it lifted from the big end. The beauty of the hydraulic motor is no need for slip clutch it just hits relief.

On a related note, Stump jumper pans: Mine appears to be bent. This may be engineered in so that the pan protects the pivot for the blade? Hard to tell and I didn't want to crawl under there. Could be bent in transit also...

http://www.servis-rhino.com/Catalog/SkidMowers/SM60/index.html