4410 PTO stopped working; reason & fix

/ 4410 PTO stopped working; reason & fix #1  

Macdaddy

Hi,
Though'd I put this out for everyone's knowledge.

Last week the rear PTO on my John Deere 4410 stopped working; just quit in the middle of bushhogging.

I have the tech manual so I was able to troubleshoot it. As it turned out, it was very easy to figure out and fix.

Basically, the PTO is driven by a hydraulic clutch, and a solenoid valve controls the supply of pressure to the clutch. In my case, both wires broke right off at the solenoid, immediately stopping the PTO.

When I found a new solenoid was $30 and neither of the two closest dealers had one, I realized I had to fix it. There was almost no wire sticking out of the solenoid, but I was able to tin it with a soldering iron, and then solder the wires to the solenoid.

It worked (so far).

On my tractor, it appears the root cause of this failure is an unsupported wiring connector. I tie wrapped it to a nearby hydraulic line.

I encourage everyone to check their tractors and tie up any loose wiring, especially unsupported connectors. The same solenoid is used for MFWD and mid PTO; they are at risk for the same loss of function.

regards,
Mac

/ 4410 PTO stopped working; reason & fix
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( S K I D P L A T E S !! )</font>

Oh that's nonsense. The wires fatigued right at the entry point into the solenoid, broken off flush with the face. I'd buy your skidplate argument if the break was mid span between the solenoid and connector, or if there was evidence of damage on the wires, but guess what, no evidence of either. There was however, a dangling connector.

What I didn't say and I recommend to everyone is to tie those wires up to prevent these failures. There's no reason to replace a $30 solenoid when a $0.05 tie wrap will solve the problem.

By the way, the solder fix failed after 4-5 hours hard work.

/ 4410 PTO stopped working; reason & fix #4  
Can you give a general idea where these solenoids are located on the 4410. Would like to check them out on my 4410.

Craig

Hi
They are under the operator's platform, on the right side, adjacent to the rear tire.

See the attachment as well. Items L, M, N are mid PTO, MFWD, and rear PTO respectively.

Mac

Attachments

• 665916-solenoids.jpg
    665916-solenoids.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 903
   / 4410 PTO stopped working; reason & fix #6  
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifI have a 4410 with skid plates. I'm going to check my wiring right now. Thanks for info. It may prevent some damage to my CUT's wiring which of course would cause me to blow a fuse!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

O.K. Installed the new solenoid last night, took about an hour and could have probably done in less time if I husled.

I have to reluctantly conceed that the fault could have been caused by foreign object damage since the MFWD solenoid wires were pulled out of the shared connector. I certainly hope a jiggling connector wouldn't shed the terminals.

So skid plates remain a good suggestion. I'll have to look for some.

/ 4410 PTO stopped working; reason & fix #8  
O.K. Installed the new solenoid last night, took about an hour and could have probably done in less time if I husled.

I have to reluctantly conceed that the fault could have been caused by foreign object damage since the MFWD solenoid wires were pulled out of the shared connector. I certainly hope a jiggling connector wouldn't shed the terminals.

So skid plates remain a good suggestion. I'll have to look for some.

I know this is a really old post, but am having the same issue with my 4410. My problem is I can't seem to get a wrench on the nut on top of the solenoid. Too much stuff in the way. How were you able to?

/ 4410 PTO stopped working; reason & fix #9  
Ed
Send Macdaddy a PM as it should notify via email that you have a question.. as he hasn't posted for 2-3 years..

/ 4410 PTO stopped working; reason & fix #10  
Ed
Send Macdaddy a PM as it should notify via email that you have a question.. as he hasn't posted for 2-3 years..

Will do. Thanks for the advice.