Oil & Fuel deisel engine wont start after changing fuel line

/ deisel engine wont start after changing fuel line #1  

chuckles65

Hi everyone,
Just bought abeautifull JD 750 for gardening,lawn and landscaping.Has a nice running 3 cylinder Yanmar Diesel in it that always starts up very quickly,The fuel line after the filter was oozing fuel so I replaced it and the filter .The filter bowl and the line are filled with fuel but the motor wont start.doesnt even hit.First diesel Ive ever owned so dont know much about them.A book is supposed to be on its way but right now Im lost.I tried loosening the lines at the injectors and cranking(many times).Checked & rechecked filter bowl & lines for air.OK.Just a little fuel showing on threads of # 2 & 3 cyls.
Is there a way to get fuel into the pump in case thats where the prblem is?The tractor was really quick on starting before this and I sure do love it,dont wont to have to shoot it.It has a loader,tiller,plow and only 1400 hrs.onitOnly thing I need is a 3 pt. hitch finish mower .But it has to run.Can anyone help me.thanks.

/ deisel engine wont start after changing fuel line #2  
Many of the older Yanmar engines have a little manual pump that can be used for priming the injection pump. Follow the fuel lines and see if they go through a little circular part (maybe 2-3 inches in diameter) that has a short lever sticking out of it. If you find such an object, start pumping it until it gets stiff or your fingers get tired, then try cranking again. It might take a couple tries.

/ deisel engine wont start after changing fuel line #3  
Check everthing obvious first. Did you open the fuel shut-off valve? You may still have air in the fuel line. Get a bucket and open the fuel line you replaced and bleed all the air out of it and try again. Next open the fuel line at the injector pump and bleed ALL of the air. It can be a pain getting air out of fuel lines sometimes.

/ deisel engine wont start after changing fuel line #4  
From my 650/750 service manual:
CAUTION: Diesel fuel escaping under pressure can have enough force to penetrate the skin.

Whenever the fuel system has been opened up for services (lines disconnected or filter removed), it will be necessary to bleed the air from the system.
1. Turn fuel on at filter. Loosen both bleed screws (on top of filter housing) and allow fuel to flow until free of air bubbles.
2. Tighten bleed screws securely. Start tractor and test operation.
3. If tractor does not start, it may be necessary to bleed fuel lines at injection pump and nozzles.
4. Loosen injection lines at delivery valve holders (the steel lines coming out top of injector pump to nozzles) ¼ turn. On 750 tractors, loosen lines on No. 1 and 3 delivery valve holder only.
5. Loosen all injection lines at nozzles.
6. Fuel will gravity feed from tank to fill injection lines.
7. When fuel appears at injection line connections on nozzle, tighten connections. On 750 tractors, do NOT tighten injection line on No. 2 nozzle.
8. Turn key switch fully counterclockwise to activate the thermo-start. Hold for 10-15 seconds.
9. Push hand throttle full forward and start engine.
10. On 750 tractors, engine will be running on No. 1 and 3 cylinders only. Operation may be erratic and engine may need to be restarted.
11. When fuel appears at connection on No. 2 nozzle, stop engine and tighten injection line.

Sorry I can’t scan the pictures, but I tried to describe them in the ( ) text. Hope you get it running. By the way, is yours 2 wheel or MFWD? Mines 2 wheel drive. (wish it was MFWD).

/ deisel engine wont start after changing fuel line
Thanks Roger,cityfarmboy and Gator for coming to my aid so quickly and solving my problem.That sweet little green thing roared to life last night right after your posts.How sweet the sound.I didnt know those 2 little screws at the top of the filter holder were bleed screws.I had bled it by taking line loose coming out of filter,thought it was bled.Then I saw a similar little screw by where the line went into the pump.loosened it and got fuel and bubbles ,then clear fluid.I thought ,maybe I wont have to loosen lines at top of pump and at the injectors.Got on her,warmed glow plug,hit the starter and heard the beautiful music.Thanks guys,sorry I couldnt get right back to you.
Gator,yes she is a mfwd and she thanks you and I thank you.Used her today and every time I looked at her she seemed to be smiling or maybe it was my reflection in her shiny paint

/ deisel engine wont start after changing fuel line #6  
Chuck,

After seeing your posts at several forums, I'm glad the right guys got to your questions. Now, go out and have a blast with that 750! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif