Starting the 112

/ Starting the 112 #1  

selkie

Alright -- I got the wheel off! That decorative cover was a real bear to remove, but the Spartacus wrecking bar ended up persuading it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We put in a fresh JD battery, there's oil in the crankcase and fuel in the tank. And it cranks! And... it cranks... and it cranks. This is weird. A few months ago (after it had sat for quite awhile) I decided to jump-start it from my Chevy, and it started and ran -- but now we can't start it It cranks great, but never catches.

What should I be checking? I was thinking of topping off the half-full tank with some high-test, then checking the spark plug to see if it's fouled. Are there any other problems that tend to make a JD hard to start?

Thanks again!

/ Starting the 112 #2  
I would start by checking for spark at the plug. I am not sure which version of the 112 you have, but the early ones had ignition points that could get dirty or corroded. A file or a little sandpaper to clean them up might be all is needed. Clean up the plug while you are at it or install a new one. Good luck!

/ Starting the 112 #3  
How fresh is the gas and how fresh is the plug?
If it sat and the gas evaporated in the carb the carb may have to be cleaned.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( topping off the half-full tank with some high-test )</font>

Low octane ( 87 ) fires easier than high octane ( 93 ). High octane is only required for high compression motors and motors with a block mounted "knock" sensor that allows the ECM to advance the timing for greater power or efficiency. The 112 has neither.

Try jumping it again. On our old 112 (1966 model) we were going through batteries every two years. So we screwed in a chunk of 2x4 lumber and had short pieces of 1/2" copper tube as attachment points for jumper cables and jumped it all the time. Did that for twenty years until second gear went in the tranny and it got traded in for a 2004 John Deere GT series. I wonder if the GT will last 38 years?

/ Starting the 112
Thanks!

The tractor hasn't been used in years, aside from the minute or so I let it run a few months ago.

I'll get some fresh 87 octane (thanks dmp437 for the advice -- I certainly wasn't looking to spend extra dough on gas!) and check the plug. JD110, any particular way you recommend for checking the ignition? Just put something metallic in the end of the plug wire, hold it near the motor, and watch for a spark?

Thanks again -- with TBNet's help, this little 112 should soon be back on the job! You guys rock /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Starting the 112
Update: Little Putt-Putt is alive!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

We changed the plug (the old one did look kinda ratty), filled up the tank with some fresh 87 octane, and took a look at the air filter (which looked OK, so we reused it).

It took some cranking, and the neighbor who was helping me start it gave it a shot of ether, but it started! It ran better, the longer I ran it. Maybe the gas flow was cleaning the varnish out of the carb? We had the dry-rotted RF tire (which wouldn't hold air) replaced; the others were low but held air when inflated.

Anyway, ran it for about 3+ hours, used a few gallons of gas, mowed over an acre of grass. Sweet!! Thanks for the help guys!!