JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly

/ JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly #1  

madmac

Have concluded the JD990 is the tractor for my needs and am close to getting off the wallet. I would appreciate any comments or feedback from current or existing owners. Good or bad. Repairs etc.

Thanks

/ JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly #2  
I almost bought one myself, but my dealer wouldn't budge of the price, which was slightly out of my range.

I believe one poster listed a very long review of his machine a few months ago. Check it out here

Good luck. And post pics if you take the plunge. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly #3  
I have 10 hours on my new 990 and really like it. I am probably easy to impress because I had been using a 850 with 2WD and no PS for 18 years.

I paid $19,700 for the 990 w/ 300CX. Also bought a new MX5 for $1,400. received $6,300 credit for the 850 w/ 75 FEL and 503 RM. so, the upgrade cost me $14,800.

I have already pressed the MX5 by running over a couple 3" hard woods

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It chewed on them a little bit but made them disappear !! <font color="green"> </font>

Attachments

• 675282-New 990 SEM.jpg
    675282-New 990 SEM.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 288
   / JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly #4  
I have 130hrs on my 990 that I bought on new years eve of 03. It is 4WD, PS, with the 430 loader and R4 tires. I use it for moving trees, splitting wood, cutting grass, moving dirt, hauling debris, grading my driveway, and general maintenance of 10 acres. My tractor experience is limited in that my previous machine was a 850 that I had for 6 years. That said, the 990 is a wonderful machine. The only limitation I have found is the capacity of the 430 loader. It struggles a bit to lift out a full gravel load.

/ JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly #5  
You're going to love that tractor. I have had nothing but good luck here at our resort. "Mr. Haney" has helped with everything from road grading, lifting decks, hauling frozen bags of fish remains to helping the wife maintain flower boxes. I can't wait to start clening up our 80acre woods. The only thing I need is to have rimguard put in R4 tires. I've got 12 hrs on him so far. Good Luck with your choice. Doug990 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly #6  
I wrote that long review and I still stand by everything I wrote. I really like the machine and find it very nicely sized and powered for the things I do. Since you are already considering it seriously, you obviously aren't afraid of the gear shift, which is good. I hate to see someone pass up an otherwise excellent machine just because it has gears instead of a set of hydro pedals, which IMO becomes almost a non-issue after a very short time operating the tractor.

Good luck with whatever you buy, and don't forget to post pictures!

/ JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly #7  
Just to add to the concensus view---the 990 is the perfect machine for me in every way I can think of. I was orange all the way until my unit came up for sale in a classified ad. Never looked back. Great, basic tractor.

/ JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly #8  
Our 990 was delivered in the fall of 2003, and with about 120 hours so far, we are very pleased with the machine. We as in "I" the operator/maintainer and "wife" the one who is very happy with all the things I've been able to do with it. The price / feature ratio was very good for us. I'm sure you can do a search on the 990 and find lots of other comments from the 990 owners. The biggest pain I can remember someone posting was installing the block heater. I ordered mine with one so I still have no complaints.

Dave

/ JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly
Thanks for the input on the 990- The collar shift is what I have been using in the past and am comfortable with that.
Now it is a matter of convincing the dealer to see things my way on $

/ JD 990 Good -Bad - Ugly #10  
Be aware that everything I've heard (both on this board and from a couple of dealers) indicates that the 790 and 990 don't have nearly the profit margin of other series, like the 4000 Ten machines. You may not be able to talk your dealer down as much (percentage wise) as you could with a different machine, but you will still get more tractor for the money than if you go with one of the fancy machines.