JD 216 Rider Electrical Issue (Battery Not chargin

/ JD 216 Rider Electrical Issue (Battery Not chargin #1  

Derby6

First off hi to all and I hope you can help me. Hopefully this forum is for riding lawn mowers too /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have had great luck with these type of internet forums for my diesel pick-up and demo derby hobby /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I have a JD216 that the battery is not charging. Grounds to battery ar good. Is it my selonoid or what?? Can I get the part used at a reasonable price?? I am NOT a big mechanic, but am not totally tool-less either. I appreciate any thoughts and input to help me get this running for my dad. He bought a new rider because of this (about 2 years ago) and I am fixing this so he has a good reliable back-up!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It runs and cuts great while battery is charged...lol

/ JD 216 Rider Electrical Issue (Battery Not chargin #2  
Derby,
Before you buy any parts, go thru and follow all of the wires, and connections, and make sure they are all good. My 212 was doing the same thing, previous owner thought it was the PTO clutch, since it wouldn't run for long after it started and you engaged the mower. It wasn't charging... I found that my ignition switch was shot, corroded, and power wasn't going where it needed to. Simple, easy fix, where it could have been easy to throw a bunch of parts at it. If you have a tester, I think the voltage coming into the regulator from the stator should be 24V, but after that I don't remember what I tested that took me to the ignition switch. The regulator looks to be around $45, and should be readily available if you do need that part.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ JD 216 Rider Electrical Issue (Battery Not chargin
Thanks,
I followed all the wires (and jiggled), as best I could before posting. Found the ground cable was loose, but that didn't turn out to be the problem...Too easy I guess. I will look closer at the ignition switch tonight though, since the 212 and 216 are very simimilar and probably use the same switch!

/ JD 216 Rider Electrical Issue (Battery Not chargin #4  
I would think all of the electrical systems are the same,,
the regulator was the same..
that switch is pretty generic, i think it has 5 terminals on the back...

I am getting NO reading at the voltage regulator...A close look at the ignition switch shows what appears to be a minor meltdown at one point, but all wires SEEM OK. I was gonna buy a voltage reguulator tomorrow, or should I replace ignition and/or plug that goes into the ignition switch first??

Thus far thank you dutch.. You've beem a big help. Be more of a help if I was more a machanic and "electrical smart"... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD 216 Rider Electrical Issue (Battery Not chargin #6  
Pick up the switch for now.. see what that does. You know for sure that that could be bad seeing evidence of meltdown. After that, do some more testing and go from there...

DONE /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Bought ignition switch and regulator. $60 total
First replaced switch (didn't work)
Then replaced regulator (still didn't work)
Said choice words and threw wrenches
"Reworked" the 1 wire that was damaged at switch, and that fixed it!
Probably wasted money on regulator but that is my life story. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Guessing switch was bad, but maybe not. Bottom line. It works and I can't take the parts back anyway, so they are on there permanently.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks for the help

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ JD 216 Rider Electrical Issue (Battery Not chargin #8  
Yea,, those wires can get a little fried at the switch too..

Glad it's working now!

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif