790 5hr review

/ 790 5hr review #1  

farmerjim

Gold Member
Tractor
jd h, jd 50, jd2010,jd 790,case530hoe
i got my 790 last fri. first off i love this machine, loads of power. the gearing seems to fit it well also. i did some grading w/ the 300 loader and it works great esp the float position,loads better than the old case 530bh that i'm used to using. i also pushed over and moved some old wild rose bushes but i need to spray them w/ something to do the rest. i don't have filled tires but think i may fill them plus add a bit more weight to the ballast box for fel work, it seemed to run out of traction fairly easy. i then did some bushhogging w/ the lx5. the old pasture area had grass as high as the rear tires and very thick in spots, the tractor didn't even flinch, i did however go pretty slow just to be safe and get a feel for the new tractor. i wacked 1 rock no damage thankfully.my one complaint would be i kept bumping the loader control while looking back, it seems like this is common on most of the cuts w/ loader control on the platform. my dad came by to check it out while i was doing the mowing and he had to give it a try, it was hard to get him off it, so i only got to mow about 1/4 of the pasture. he likes that 790 very much, i can see him coming by to take it back to the farm for himself. it also got him thinking about a newer machine. today i will try tedding some hay and then later in the week raking. we only have a 2 spindle tedder so there should be no hp issues, and the old nh side delivery rake is ground drive. all in all i'm very impressed w/ this tractor and glad i did buy it. being a gear model is no big deal for me, as thats all i ever used except for my lawn mower which is hydro.

/ 790 5hr review #2  
farmerjim,

Congrats on your purchase! And WOW! A post after just 5 hrs! Talk about guidiness! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. I know the feeling! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 790 5hr review #3  
Glad your enjoying it. As far as bumping the loader control..... on mine it would be the dump function and you can lock that out , you would still be able to raise and lower the loader, but not dump or curl .This would work when your not doing loader work. Also try taking the bucket off while cutting, it improves visibility and only takes a second to release. Have fun and rack up some hours on that thing !!!!!