990 Optima Battery size?

/ 990 Optima Battery size? #1  

Doug990

Tractor
JD990
I've got about 15hrs on my tractor and don't want to experience the same fate as many of the threads have shown with corrosion. I was wondering which optima would do the job for me. Doug990

/ 990 Optima Battery size? #2  
I have a 990. What is the issue with battery corrosion? I did have to replace the battery cable terminals due to the sheet metal ring breaking on the positive terminal. The breakage was due to overtightening at the dealer and not to corrosion.

/ 990 Optima Battery size? #3  
The corrosion issue isn't specific to the 990, or any other model or make for that matter. It is due to non-sealed OEM batteries leaking acid or even just fumes from the vibration encountered in a tractor. It can cause quite a mess from what I understand.

I replaced the battery in my 990 with an Optima almost immediately. I don't recall the exact model, although it is a red top. I think almost any model should work - there is plenty of room in the 990. I had to put a thin strip of flat bar behind the battery in my machine because the rounded edges of the Optima didn't fit well into the square brackets the bottom of the battery rests against, but it wasn't a problem.

/ 990 Optima Battery size? #4  
I put a bluetop optima in size 31 in my 5200. It was the only one close in size.

/ 990 Optima Battery size? #5  
Re: Reel Mower

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( However, my price stays firm at free. )</font>

You drive a hard bargain Dargo. I'll have to remember that if I aver trade with you.

/ 990 Optima Battery size? #7  
I had corrosion soon after I took possession of my 990---so bad it damaged the positive cable clamp, whihc I replaced. 50 hours later, the oozing is back, and in spades, on the positive terminal. I pulled the John Deere "Strongbox Hibernator" out yesterday, and once the substance around the terminals solidifies, I'll clean it, take it in for partial credit on trade in, and be putting in a new battery this week.

The good news is that the iron bar cleaned up pretty well, and no corrosion got to the battery platform.

/ 990 Optima Battery size?
Rafeal, I was just wondering why you wouldn't switch to an optima, I've got 27 hours on Mr Haney(990), but so far no damage, although corrossion was evident on posts. Doug990

/ 990 Optima Battery size? #9  
I went to the auto store just this morning, actually, and traded in my oozing John Deere "Strongbox Hibernator," for a comparable size Autocraft Silver 272. It was $69, and with the $10 credit on trade-in, came to $73 with tax. There were two different Optima's on the shelf, and to be honest I was confused by their sizing, and not sure which would have been the right one to get. I know everyone who's swapped out JD batteries has gone with the Optima, and I was in fact looking at those first. They were about $109, if I remember right.

Are you suggesting that I should not put in the Autocraft Silver, and go with the Optima? If so, could you tell me the right Optima to get for my 990?

/ 990 Optima Battery size? #10  
I withdraw the question: I see above a red top was used in a 990, and I saw an Optima with a red top that I think was the same amps as what I'm replacing---a 27 (I think).