Steering question for my 4115 JD

/ Steering question for my 4115 JD #1  

K3KJ

Tractor
JD 4115
I have notice that when the tractor is not running you can't turn the wheels.. The dealer told me that thats normal for all hydrostatic tractors.. He also said if I was in a field and had to toe it back to my shop that I could but would make many turns on wheel to turn it~tho I would feel a crunch feeling in the wheel , which he said is also normal . Can this be right~? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Steering question for my 4115 JD #2  
I just tried turning the wheel while the tractor was sitting in the garage (cement floor), the tractor not running and FEL lowered to the ground. The wheels turned easier than I would have expected and it did not seem to take an excessive amount of steering wheel turns to get the wheels to move. There was a light sensation through the steering wheel of like a ratcheting action.

/ Steering question for my 4115 JD
Thanks Phil for letteing me know that I don't have the only 4115 that does that... Thought maybe the JD dealer was telling me a story....

/ Steering question for my 4115 JD #4  
Mine will turn, but it takes a fair amount of force to do it.
This is on a 790, BTW.

This is hydrostatic steering, so if the tractor engine is off, one doesn't have the hydraulic assist.

/ Steering question for my 4115 JD #5  
Sounds normal /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Steering question for my 4115 JD #6  
It is definitely normal, at least for the 4115's. Even with the motor running, occasionally I have to throttle up a bit if I have the FEL bucket loaded with very heavy material (at which time I would be moving very slowly, ofcourse). I've added some 25 lb. weights to the storage foot rod on the rear blade to help counterbalance, relieving some of the force on the front wheels. Seems to have helped.

Tom