Got my new(used) JD 4410

/ Got my new(used) JD 4410 #1  

goodolboy

Tractor
4410 John Deere
Hello, just got my new/used 4410. It has 150 hrs. on it FEL. Anyone else out there own one of these. Wouldn't mind getting some pointers. First question is how do you get the steering wheel to tilt. It looks like it tilts but is not the same configuration as the manual so instructions in the manual don't help.

/ Got my new(used) JD 4410 #2  
Congrats!!

Does yours have a wide handles lever on the top of the column like mine?
On mine, you pull the lever to you and the wheel tilts then slide the lever forward to lock. Some have been known to be sticky and difficult to tilt. It may require some persuasion.

/ Got my new(used) JD 4410
Yes, that is exactly it. I have pulled every which way but was scared to break something. So yo pull it towards you. I will try a little harder tonight. The book shows a completely different set up. The guy a bought the tractor from was not sure how it worked and he was original owner. The tractor is a 2002 so it has not moved since new. Hope it is not seized to the point of no go. Thanks for the help. Will let you know tommorrow how I make out.

Yes it does. I have pulled and yanked on it every which way but it won't budge. The guy I bought the tractor off of did not know how it worked and the unit is a 2002. This means it has not been tilted since new. I suspect it is seized real good. I am going to try again tonight and let you know how I make out. Thanks for the help. The owners manual shows a completely different setup for tilt.

/ Got my new(used) JD 4410 #5  
I got my 4410 last October, brand new and the tilt steering would not work. The dealer had to take it apart and replace some of the parts inside. It is a terrible design and Deere has done nothing to correct the defect for us. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The new 20 series has a different design. You need to get a dealer to repair it. If I can be of any other help send me a email. Good luck. Also, you can rock the steering wheel back and forth a bit which is very annoying.

/ Got my new(used) JD 4410 #6  
I've bought my 4410 tractor new and had troubles with the tilt steering from day one. It never got better, until we broke it. I had it serviced (while under warranty) and it's been working great ever since. I recommend having a trained service tech fix it for you.

Have fun with your tractor, I know I have. The 4410 makes even the simple tasks a joy to perform! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Got my new(used) JD 4410 #7  
Mine sticks all the time. I have found that shooting some ArmorAll in the parts frees them faster and keeps it from sticking longer than a spray lube like WD-40. Next time mine goes in for service, I'm going to see if they can do any better.

Out come the tools, took it apart and found a plastic collar that was suppose to slide to engage a disengage a rack that provides a lock for the tilt. Collar was dry and stuck. A little lubricant and it works great. After reading the posts, I should not have used the lubricant I did because it will collect dirt and dust. It is working for the time being though. Thanks for the help.