Cat 0 vs. Cat 1 hitch

/ Cat 0 vs. Cat 1 hitch #1  

lpavao

Tractor
JD X585
Can anyone tell me if implements from a cat 0 hitch will work with cat 1 - and what is the general difference? I have an X585 and am looking for 3pt PTO spreaders

/ Cat 0 vs. Cat 1 hitch #2  
The upper and lower links are 5/8ths diameter on a category 0 3PH.

The lower links on the category 1 hitch is 7/8ths while the top link is ¾"

The spacing between the cat 0 and cat 1 is different as well. 20" spacing for the cat. 0, 26" for the cat. 1

However, I'm sure you can replace most of the link pins, or bush them. The spacing might be a problem though.

What implements are you interested in using?

/ Cat 0 vs. Cat 1 hitch
I'm looking at a PTO spreader, which the only one that I can find is "huge" and out of my ballpark on price. I've just recently taken delivery on the X585 and this would be my first implement. As I've noted in the forum - implements on this limited cat 1 hitch may be hard to find. Thanks

/ Cat 0 vs. Cat 1 hitch #4  
I suspect one could fabricate the Cat I attachments to fit the Cat 0 or limited Cat I, with a bit of re-design and welding. Just being careful to not over-do the load limits that are implied by the "limited Cat I" designation.

/ Cat 0 vs. Cat 1 hitch #5  
I run a PTO spreader on my 2210. I would think the X would have a hard time raising it high enough to get the hopper level, even with the top link at its shortest length. Also I would think the PTO shaft would have to be shortened to make it work. DJL2210 had this sort of experience with a tiller on his X before moving to a 2210. I paid about $300 for my spreader. If you're interested in where I got it from, private email me.

/ Cat 0 vs. Cat 1 hitch #6  
The Befco 203-120 is perfect for your machine. I bought mine when I had a JD 445 several years ago and still use it with my 4110. It has Cat 0 dimensions with both Cat 0 and Cat 1 top link holes. It comes with Cat 0 bottom link diameter pins with Cat 1 bushings. I bet your dealer would order one for you. You will need to have the PTO shaft shortened for you setup. I paid somewhere around $325-$350. Here's a link: Befco Hop Spreaders

/ Cat 0 vs. Cat 1 hitch #7  
I am not sure, but check the PTO speed of the X585. Running in the back of my mind that they are not 540 RPM, but maybe 1000 RPM. Not for sure on that.

I use a pull type, ground driven spreader, and get by just fine. Can't spread salt in the winter with the pull-type however. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif If anyone is thinking pull-type, be sure to get one with wide stance on the wheels, as mine is a bit tippy when on a side slope, and I wish I had wider spaced wheels.

/ Cat 0 vs. Cat 1 hitch #8  
It's a 540 RPM PTO