4310 Parking brake

/ 4310 Parking brake #1  

txhawg

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305
Does anyone know if the parking brake is electronically controlled? I 've had thios 4310 now for a couple of months. It has been great, but since day one it has had an issue with the parking brake. When I set the brake, the light goes on, but it doesn't seem to hold. On an incline with the brake engaged, the tractor will creep forward or backward, depending on which way it faces. There are also other times, while operating the tractor, when all of a sudden I notice the parking brake light is on /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. This is, mind you, after I disengage it and work for some time. I am worried that if it is electronically controlled that when the light goes on the brakes are applied, and I am wearing them down before I notice the light is on. I have tried to purposely operate the tractor with the parking brake set, and disengaged, and I can't tell any difference. Any suggestions?

/ 4310 Parking brake #2  
I don't think there is much difference between your 4310 and my 4410, so I will share what I have learned.

First, on setting the brake. Pull the knob out and let go, then mash on the brake pedal. The knob will make a definite "click" and your tractor won't move. It seems to me that if I hold the brake pedal down and pull the knob out, it does not set as firmly as if I pull the knob out first and then mash the pedal down.

My indicator light has just recently started coming on intermittently. I figured it was due to some severely dusty conditions I have been working in. I have pressure washed the tractor a couple of times and I still get the same thing. I have noticed that if I tap the brake pedal, the indicator will go off, but might come back on in a few minutes. I really do not think that anything in the system is electronic. I am not speaking from knowledge or training, just experience around equipment (and not all that much of that). It just seems to be an all mechanical system with an indicator that gets a little sticky. I have a small but growing laundry list of little things to get looked at by the dealer. That and a torn tie-rod boot are foremost on the list, but not enough yet to make me give up my tractor for a day or two. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 4310 Parking brake #3  
I have a 4310 and have not had a problem with the indicator light. I believe it isn't electronically controlled and either you have a electrical switch issue or the brake didn't release properly when you pushed the parking button in.

I am not sure how you feel but I don't trust the parking brake. The tractor will creep, with the brake on, if parked on an incline. I really have to push hard on the brake pedal to set the brake enough to keep the tractor from moving. I suspect there is an adjustment for this but have not taken the time to look for it. I drop the bucket or BH stabilizer if on a steep incline before I get off the tractor.

I have noticed that, while idling, the tractor will not creep if I leave the transmission in gear. If I set the brake and put it in Neutral, the tractor will creep. If left in gear, with the brake on or off, it won't move. I am sure this is a safety issue but does anybody know if it will cause a problem with the transmission pump to idle in gear for awhile? Sorry to hijack the thread but it may address your creeping issue.

/ 4310 Parking brake #4  
Hi

I have a 4310 and the parking brake did not work well when I first got it 2 years ago. It would not hold the tractor very well on an incline. This did not bother me too much, because I was like another poster who said that he did not trust the parking brake. But having said that, I find it useful under certain circumstances, so I had the dealer look at it.

When it came back and I set the brake, it would not release properly. Being one who goes to the dealer only as a last resort, I would run the tractor in two wheel drive until the brake wore down a bit. After a couple of hundred yards, I could smell the brake and now after doing this about a dozen times over a couple months , the parking works perfectly.

Richard

/ 4310 Parking brake #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have tried to purposely operate the tractor with the parking brake set, and disengaged, and I can't tell any difference. Any suggestions? )</font>

I believe that, depending on how the brakes are adjusted, when you engage the brake lock and push the pedal down only to the first click, you may not get much braking force. That's true on my 4310, anyway. If you push the pedal harder, it will tighten up more and you should hear a second click. At this point, you should definitely notice a difference between driving with the brake on or off.

I parked mine on a steep slope the other day to unload some dirt. I pulled the brake lock, stomped really hard on the pedal, and the tractor didn't budge even a little.

The brakes are purely mechanical, not electronic.

Tom

/ 4310 Parking brake
Maybe mine is different, but I can't seem to pull the knob out until I step on the brake pedal. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 4310 Parking brake #7  
txhawg,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Maybe mine is different, but I can't seem to pull the knob out until I step on the brake pedal. )</font>

I suspect that the parking brakes on the mid chasis four thousand ten series is set up similar to the four thousand series.

On the four thousand series, there is a plate which has the teeth for the ratchet, that pivots on a pin. If the pin fits a little too closely or is in need of lubrication, the plate will not return to it's rest position. If that is the case, you will be able to pull the brake lock out without first depressing the brake pedal. It may also activate the parking brake light.

/ 4310 Parking brake #8  
I have a 4310 and had the same problem with the parking brake. The parking brake has two adjusting rods connected to the brake pedal and the rear wheel brakes. The rods run just underneath both outer sides of the deck. Adjust by loosening the nuts and tightening the turnbuckles on both rods as needed.
Steve Z