SEM Products

/ SEM Products #1  

PoodlePimp

Tractor
John Deere 650
I noticed in the 2004 SEM Products catalog (automotive and industrial paint) that SEM mixes their "Rust-Sheild" in JD-Yellow and JD-Green,along with several other industrial and agricultural colors. Sounds like good stuff, has anybody tried this stuff out? I know JD sells paint, but it's junk because it doesn't have any anti corrosive qualities, I wouldn't use it to paint a wheel barrow. The SEM 3863 Sand Free and 3837 SEM Solve sound like they could be used on tractors for easy paint prep. Anybody used this stuff???? The website is www.sem.ws I might just order some of the yellow for my rims. I saw it is also available in spray cans as well.

/ SEM Products #2  
While I haven't had any problem with JD's paint...

Almost any source for JD colors has the JD Classic colors. They do not match the new equippment. Now were a 650 fits in that, I don't know... The only place that I have found the current Green, Yellow, and Black is at John Deere...

/ SEM Products
I would like to paint my tractor someday.... but with all the rust it needs a corrosion inhibitor, preferably one mixed into the paint. The SEM product sounds like the perfect solution. The way my rims are rusting if I don't paint them soon I won't have any at all.

/ SEM Products #4  
Your best bet to a good coating for your wheels is with an industry standard epoxy like that from
DuPont or PPG, or Sikkens.

But, if you must spray from a can, I've had good luck with
Krylon #1817 JD Green
& #1816 JD Yellow.
They last pretty well.

The nice thing about the epoxies, is that they will last forever, where the aerosol cans will need re-spraying, sometimes again and again.

/ SEM Products #5  
Keep in mind there are 2 JD yellows. The nice bright yellow that goes with the green and the orangish yellow found on the construction equipment. Both are called JD yellow.

I dropped my mower deck off at a paint shop to be sand blasted, epoxy primered and urethane top coated. The guy called his paint supplier and got JD yellow. Boy was I surprised when I went to pick up the mower deck! It got a second coat of the correct yellow.

Jeff

/ SEM Products #6  
I have used SEM products in the past and I have never had any problems with their products. Sometimes they are a little too pricey, but the quality always outweighs the cost in the end. With automotive finishes, you get what you pay for usually. Cheap paints don't hold up well. One thing to always consider, is that the paint is only one component of the total system. For best results, you need to purchase all the preparation materials (primers, etc.) from the same manufacturer. If you mix one brand of primer with another brand of top coat, there is always the chance of a chemical reaction that will cause the failure of the paint down the road.

/ SEM Products #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Boy was I surprised...)</font>

You mean you had an industrial colored mower deck? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I may be crazy, but in the JD configurator, I think I've seen a <font color="yellow">Yellow</font> and even an <font color="orange">Orange</font> paint option.

Yellow or orange John Deere.....that's just wrong!

(I'd still like to see one)! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ SEM Products #8  
<font color="blue"> You mean you had an industrial colored mower deck? </font>

Yup. The paint was either PPG or Dupont. I forget which. But the color was called JD yellow. Because the deck had been sand blasted to bare metal the paint shop no longer had a point of reference. I ended up spraying a 6"x 6" card from a JD can of yellow so the paint supplier could use their color match system. It took many, many coats of paint to completely cover the black and white checkerboard pattern. In the end I had a deck that matched the rest of the yellow parts on the tractor.

Jeff

/ SEM Products #9  
<font color="green"> Keep in mind there are 2 JD</font><font color="yellow">yellows </font>
I guess there are THREE. JD Yellow, Classic JD Yellow, and Transport JD Yellow

/ SEM Products #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Transport JD Yellow )</font>

Mike,
What is "Transport JD Yellow"?
Could that be the industrial yellow?