NorthStar PTO generator

/ NorthStar PTO generator #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I paid $625.00 for a new 10K leroy
sommer gen head with gearbox and $75.00 for the pto bar.
)</font>

Where did you get this deal from?

/ NorthStar PTO generator
To answer the original question on why some PTO generators must be trailer mounted: It depends on the size and hence starting torque required by the generator. Large PTO generators require more starting torque and when they are lifted off of the ground they put twisting force on the 3ph. That is obviously different from the implement resting on the ground requiring a lot of starting torque. The 3ph was not designed for that kind of twisting force. However for smaller PTO generators, there is really no issue.

/ NorthStar PTO generator
Here is the unit mounted to a carry-all. I put some small casters on it to make it easier/faster to mount. Plus, I put a couple of 2x4's across the underside of the plywood to give the 5/8 inch mounting bolts something rigid to bolt to. Runs like a champ. The tractor needs to run at around 2700 RPM to bring the generator up to the correct voltage (120).

Attachments

• 751602-DSCN1231.jpg
    751602-DSCN1231.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 912
   / NorthStar PTO generator #14  
check out www.generaljims.com
look under generators then go to gas generators.
They have raised the price to 795.00 since I bought mine
this spring. These are just the gen head and pto gearbox.
You have to come up with your own mount as well as an
electrical panel with plugs and circuit breakers. After I built
my own panel and dumped about $70 bucks in plugs, a panel
box and breakers I found out surpluscenter.com had a variaty
of pre made generator panels for dirt cheap.

/ NorthStar PTO generator #15  
I have the larger Northern Tool 12kW unit mounted onto a two wheel trailer, it works great and @ 544rpm rear PTO (Kubota L-3130 real time PTO tachometer) she puts out 50 amps of 240V or 100 amps of 120V @ 60 hertz.

/ NorthStar PTO generator #16  
To answer the original question on why some PTO generators must be trailer mounted: It depends on the size and hence starting torque required by the generator. Large PTO generators require more starting torque and when they are lifted off of the ground they put twisting force on the 3ph. That is obviously different from the implement resting on the ground requiring a lot of starting torque. The 3ph was not designed for that kind of twisting force. However for smaller PTO generators, there is really no issue.

So...if the gen head produces too much torque for the 3ph, that's a LOT of torque. Think how much torque it must take to turn a 6' rotor tiller, for example, or an 8' bush hog. So if a gen head needs more torque to start it, what keeps it from flipping a little trailer over when you engage the PTO?

/ NorthStar PTO generator #18  
So if a gen head needs more torque to start it, what keeps it from flipping a little trailer over when you engage the PTO?

I've seen in happen, because the trailer axle wasn't wide enough for that size gen set... But the gen set was already running, it just had enough load on it to lift one side of the narrow trailer.

Once a wider axle was put under the trailer, it never happen again...

SR