NorthStar PTO generator

/ NorthStar PTO generator #1  

jdepetri2210

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2210
What is the deal with mounting these generators to the 3ph. It seems more convenient to have these 3ph mounted and then lower them to the ground to operate. Most look like they are trailer mounted. I am guessing there are some vibration issues that make it a bad idea to have it connected to the draft link arms??? I see that the Deere pto generator is a 3ph mount? Anyone want to weigh in? thx

/ NorthStar PTO generator #2  
I don't think there is a problem with mounting it to the 3-pt at all. I think that you probably need it mounted to a frame of some sort, rather than mounted directly on the rocker arms although that might be possible with a really short PTO shaft but drive shaft alignment might become an issue. My idea, when and if I ever get a PTO generator, is to mount it to a 3-pt carry-all that will cost about $100. Cover the arms of the carry-all with 3/4" plywood, space out the PTO shaft and bolt the generator down. Then it should just be a case of getting the PTO shaft and generator level using the lift arms and the top link and it should run good.

/ NorthStar PTO generator #4  
This is offered by JD,,, 10KW,, Cat-1. I believe they are around $1800.
generator.jpg

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ NorthStar PTO generator #5  
I ordered the trailer for my generator so that I could move it around my garage more easily (when it's not hanging on the tractor). They are quite heavy.

KTD

/ NorthStar PTO generator #6  
I built my own 3pt mount similar to the deere photo and welded casters to the bottom to make it easy to roll around
the shop. Works great. I paid $625.00 for a new 10K leroy
sommer gen head with gearbox and $75.00 for the pto bar.

/ NorthStar PTO generator #7  
I was hoping this thread would have input on the actual Northern Tool generator, and if it is any good/quality for the price. I have been considering getting one and would love some input on this unit. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ps - I was thinking particularly about the smaller 7500watt unit....

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ NorthStar PTO generator #8  
Hi

I have a 15 KW PTO generator and I left it on the packing skid on which it was shipped. I placed it in a small shed.

When I need to use it, I just drive up to the shed doors and attach the PTO shaft. I do not need to have mine mobile so this works fine. If I have to transport it, I can pick it up with the 3 point hitch.

Richard

/ NorthStar PTO generator #9  
I think that there is someone on this board that has a Northern Tool PTO generator. I'm not sure but it may be Soundguy. I think his is a slightly larger version but as I remember, he was very well satisfied with it.

Do a search and you will come up with his analysis.

/ NorthStar PTO generator
I bought the Northstar PTO 7200-7800 watt gen based on Soundguy's feedback on the larger unit. In my opinion it is a great price for that unit. The wattage is perfect for a 7500 10 circuit Gen-tran switch. Everything else that I have seen is appreciably more $$. The Deere 10K watt is almost 3 times the cost. I already have the PTO shaft. So I am going to follow EastTexFrank's advice and mount it to a carry all. I may take it one step further and somehow mount casters to the carry all to make it that much easier to roll in and out. I will take pics and give feedback when I have it all tricked out.