mid frame vs large frame compacts

/ mid frame vs large frame compacts #1  

Dirtboy

Silver Member
Tractor
Cant decide
Thought it might be fun and educational to discuss the advantages and disidvantages of the two. maybe have members post about how their large frames work on 10 acres or less or how the mid frame works on larger property. I know specific needs dictate, but it would be fun to hear real life experiance. I dont want this post to turn into A war, instead maybe help prospective tractor buyers (like myself) that want A large or mid frame for their property. Mike

/ mid frame vs large frame compacts #2  
I have a 4310. We have our own club. We do NOT let large frame owners in. (OK, if they pay the dues, we will...)

I have around 80 acres. There is a flat spot on my property that isn't rocky. I know there is and someday I will find it. I have some trees, maybe 6 or 8 million of them. I have creeks, and a ravine or three. I have about 50 acres of pasture that has large shade trees all over individually and in groves. I have around 16 horses (I think) and a whole gaggle or two of goats. I have rocks.

My 4310 has fluid filled R1 Tires set full wide. I have the 430 loader, 47 hoe. AI have skid plates Did I mention rocks?

I use round bales. They are delivered dropped to the ground and I back up to them with my 3 point spear. I have effortlessly carried nearly 2000Lb bales like this. On rainy dark nights it wasn't effortless. It scared me half to death. (BTW I will NEVER get twine wrapped bales again, only net. I destroyed one wheel seal, and that is one too many with twine, there is NO WAY to keep it from attacking...)

We mow with an MX6 which does a really nice job.

I doubt that a large frame machine would be too large, but I don't sit around regretting what I have... Great threadm, I wil try and add some more later...

/ mid frame vs large frame compacts
Thanks Mike, great reply !!! Just what im lookin for /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I dont post alot but read this site A ton. Anyone else?

P.S Mike If I had A 4320 on 4.5 acres could I join the club?

Mike

/ mid frame vs large frame compacts #4  
to join Club4310; send $50 dues to _RaT_, we'll get back to you...

/ mid frame vs large frame compacts #5  
Real nice thread thought, Mike! And no wars for sure. I’m adding my two cents only because I might represent one far end of the discussion spectrum.

I’ve got only 1 ½ acres, split between a 1 acre home site and yard across the street from Long Island Sound, and salt marsh/dock area on the water. I’ve got a new 4120/400X/448 BH. You’d be right to start thinking overkill. But…

There’s the tons and tons of boulders I’ve either buried or transported across the street to shore up the dock parking, the 30” maple stumps I’ve dug and buried, the 48” concrete well cap I popped, chained and transported in about a New York minute, the garage foundation I’m digging, the old concrete garage pad I dug up, the old asphalt driveway to remove, relocate and prep, and the list goes on. When I’m all done (when is that?) I’ve got a great machine for resale. And I’m currently enjoying all it’s benefits for zero percent/3 year financing. At zero percent, I made sure I bought a big enough machine to handle the planned projects as well as the extra-large surprises I was likely to dig up. I also had previous experience with a similar older Deere and knew the capabilities of the Twenty series). The FEL lift height and BH dig capacities are worth a lot to me by themselves. Think tree-trimming, house re-shingling… (yes, I visit the safety forum).

Right size, as has been discussed at length here, is very user-specific. But for my uses, with no constraints like navigating along narrow trails or under forest limbs, or using it for finish mowing, I’d opt every time for the larger frame.

Using a machine regularly within it’s design capacities, rather than taxing a smaller machine also makes me feel like I’m doing things the right way. This is a confidence-building thought for an amateur operator like me.

Green, orange, blue or whatever, after you’ve considered all your needs and the limitations where you’ll be using it, I’d advise that when in doubt don’t undersize. Dollars saved on the purchase will be long forgotten, while the inability to do the work you want will smack you in the face regularly.

Oh, and by the way, I’m 6’3” and I don’t want my neighbors to see me on a smaller tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ mid frame vs large frame compacts #6  
<font color="blue"> I’ve got only 1 ½ acres, split between a 1 acre home site and yard across the street from Long Island Sound, and salt marsh/dock area on the water. I’ve got a new 4120/400X/448 BH. You’d be right to start thinking overkill. But…
</font>

It just goes to show you; It's not the size of your acreage that counts. It's how you use your tool(s) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ mid frame vs large frame compacts
Thanks guys Keep em comin /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Just think the only reason that matters why we have the tractor we have, is our own /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Lets see if we can get as many members as possible to chime in on this post. Mike

/ mid frame vs large frame compacts #8  
I have a 4310 430/48BH and it is perfect for my 10 acres of never-ending projects. I filled the rear tires and it made this a very stable machine on hilly terrain. I suppose I could use some more power but am very satisfied with this machine. I do stop by the JD dealer occasionally and would like to upgrade but would not go bigger. Anything bigger is too big, anything smaller is too small (IMHO of course).

The best part is I bought this with 24 hours on it for $15,000. I sold my 1978 Kubota b7100D for $5000 so I keep telling my wife that the new 4310 only cost $10,000...

Here is one post of the new gate overhead I am building. The old posts lasted 30 years but carpenter ants and rot finally did it in. The post is 14" diameter and 21' long. The other side will go in tomorrow. I will not attempt the overhead log (30') and will wait for my neighbor and his crane.
Too wide inline image change to link

/ mid frame vs large frame compacts #10  
I too spent more than my share of time debating what tractor to buy, but my decision was in the other direction: I couldn't figure out whether to get something along the lines of a <font color="orange"> B7610 </font> / <font color="green"> 4115 </font> / <font color="blue"> TC24DA </font>, or have a separate tractor and mower. I wanted a machine that could take a backhoe and do my logging/cleaning chores, but also one that could finish mow my 5+ acres. The one thing that kept scaring me out of making a final decision was buyer's remorse. I did NOT want to spend $20k+, only to wish for more "umph" within a month or two. In the end, I swapped out lawn mowers to get the muscle I needed in that department, and got a separate tractor.

I've been really happy with mine. Sure, I had the backhoe dipperstick problem that others had, but it was covered under warranty. And I had the elm root vs. radiator reservoir tank (elm root wins every time) battle, which thankfully was covered under my inland marine insurance policy. Those things will happen, and hopefully I've had my dose of equipment bloopers for the next 5 years. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

One thing I kept reading about on here that I didn't really understand was the statement that you'll run out of traction before you run out of power. Boy, is that ever true. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I have loaded R1s on my L3400DT, and with the backhoe attached, I can push into a pile of dirt until the tires start to dig swimming pools. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Another issue that bears mentioning is stability. The only tractor I'd ever used before buying my Kubota (I just realized this is a JD board...am I going to be fined for this? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) was Dad's 1950 8N, which is quite a bit wider. I've taken the Kubota part-way up a few slopes that made me clench; the narrower setup makes a huge difference. I don't have any specs in front of me, but I think the large-frame models probably have better width, which would make them a bit safer. Of course, the added size will make it less maneuverable, but unless you've got really confined spaces to work in, it shouldn't make much difference.

Overall, you will probably never look back and say "I wish I'd bought smaller." /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif