NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke

/ NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke #1  

bobbyjak

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5205 4wd
Tractor now has 3.8 hrs on it..Started emitting white followed by blue smoke when it is 1st started..Then clears up to very little blue smoke..When it is started after sitting for more than 30 minutes, white followed by blue smoke is seen and it sounds like the cylinders are "Loaded" with diesel..It takes a few seconds for engine to smooth out..This all started when it had just 1 hr on it..Dealer says this is happening because it is not "Broken in, rings not seated"..Says I need to run tractor hard for about 6 - 8 hrs..The problem is, I don't use the tractor that much, no need for it..I will do good to put 10 hrs a month on it..I had my other tractor for 22 yrs and only put a little on 1000 hrs on it..I feel like it is an injector problem because of the White smoke (excess fuel symptom)..I would go along with the "break in" answer if it was only a little Blue smoke..When tractor is running, you can smell diesel coming from the exhaust..

Any one else experience this problem with their 5205?..

/ NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke #2  
I have a new 5103. 70 hours. I remember the smoke thing *vaguely*

I have posted troubleshooting from the manual below. hope this helps.

Engine emits white smoke

Improper type fuel.

Use proper fuel.

Low engine temperature.

Warm up engine to normal operating temperature.

Defective thermostat.

See your John Deere dealer.

Defective injection nozzles.

Engine out of time.

Cold start advance or light load advance not functioning.

/ NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke #3  
If it continues to smoke for a while after startup I think you may have an injector problem. My local dealer just had a new 5xxx with a smoking and down on power. They replaced all of the injectors to fix it.
Good luck
Jim

/ NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke #4  
Wow, I hate to hear stories like that, especially since I own one too /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have about 75 hard, loaded hours on mine and maybe a tiny half second puff when it starts after sitting a day or two. Wish I knew what to tell you. Maybe you could follow your dealers suggestion and find a project to do and just run it hard for a while. I think I put 6 hours on mine the first day. I do know that diesels are built to work hard and long. I also know they don't need to idle at low RPM very much.

10 hours a month is not very many hours for a work horse like the 5205, or probably any tractor for that matter. Take it out and run it hard for about 8 hours one weekend like the dealer advised and see if it works. I can't stand to see my tractor sit. I can always find something I need to do. If its too wet to plow, I can still bushhog some sweetgum saplings /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep us posted and let us know how it turns out.

/ NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke
Having dealer pick it up tomorrow..I feel like it is either an injector or injector pump timing problem..Too much white smoke at start up..Even worst if tractor is run for a little while at 2200 rpm, shut down and re-started 30 minutes or longer
later..It is just excessive smoke in my opinion..It appears that the injectors maybe leaking fuel into cylinders while sitting..Any how, dealer going to check it out and fix loader lift cylinder problem while in shop..Just hope it doesn't take too long..

/ NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke #6  
Bobbyjak,

Any updates?

/ NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke #7  
Wasn't a diesel but I had an Isuzu that did the same thing due to a bad head gasket. When you shut it down there was still some pressure in the cooling system which forced a bit of AF into the cylinders. When it started up the AF would burn off but then the oil pressure would be up and the oil would do the same thing. Eventually one cylinder would fill with AF until it was hard to turn over and it would run rough till it emptied. I found that loosening the rad cap (when it was cold) made it easiert to live with until I could get it fixed. Good Luck Pat

/ NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke #8  
I have a 5205 with 46 hours on it and I have exactly the same thing happing to my tractor. I haven't had a chance to get it to the dealer yet but we need to keep in touch until both tractors are fixed !

/ NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke
Update: White smoke problem went away (before dealer picked it up..week late doing so) as soon as I put more (my) fuel into tractor.. I guess the fuel put in by dealer had water in it or it just fixed itself..Just got it back from dealer for a few other minor problems..Did some mowing and it ran like a charm (as a new one with 8 hrs on it should)..Please keep us updated on your problem/solution just in case mine re-appears..

/ NEW 5205 blowing white, then blue smoke #10  
Did you check the fuel sediment bowl? I have a clear one on order for my 4720. My 2210 had one standard, not sure why they don't do that on all of their tractors.

D.