Tractor
    4310 epr

Default Sluggish Rockshaft Control

With less than 50 hours on my 4310, I have noticed that the rockshaft control seems to be somewhat sluggish. The range of motion also seems diminished or lacks lifting capacity. According to my operators manual, these symptoms indicate that the rockshaft control valve filter may need cleaning. The reference photo on pp74 of the manual shows the location of the filter just above the PTO shroud, right below the fixed end of the top link. This is not the case on my tractor; there is only a hydraulic line. Before I go on a searching mission, does anyone know where the filter location is? According to the tag that was on my tractor, it was built in September of 04.

Tractor
    jd4310 epower

Default Re: Sluggish Rockshaft Control

On my 4310 theres no rockshaft filter only a hydraulic, clutch filter and a suction screen. Around 50 hours my hydraulics felt jerky. I changed the filters and cleaned the suction screen and it cleared up. Note its around 7 gallons of oil so multiple drain pans and you will make a mess. The dealer said they do not replace the oil at 50 hours just drain and visually inspect. Good Luck

Tractor
    JD 4310

On my 4310 the rockshaft filter is in the steel line immediately below the attachment point for the 3 pt hitch top link. Its the expanded cylindrical item about 5-6 inches long with fittings on each end.

Jim

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

There also may be a flow control valve that is partially closed.

That in-line 'filter' I believe is also referred to as a screen, and is in that hyd line (more accessible than on the early 4300). On my 4300, I found it had blown out, but it didn't cause any valve control problems.

Tractor
    jd4310 epower

hey beenthere could you post a picture of the screen location that your talking about. I might have anouther screen that I am unaware about. The suction screen I mentioned was on the main hydraulic suction coming out of the sump. Maybe so 4310s have the older 4000 setup. Thanks

Tractor
    4310 epr

Where is the "screen" located that you're referring to? I'm trying to determine where it is on mine to save a trip to the dealer. As I mentioned in my original post, the manual shows the location above the pto cover (that hinges up), just below the fixed end of the top link. Have you ever serviced the screen on your 4310. If so, do you lose much fluid in the process?