Greetings!- And JD670 Tiller Slip Clutch Question

/ Greetings!- And JD670 Tiller Slip Clutch Question #1  

FarmerJeff

Greetings- I am new to this forum, but am already impressed by the wealth of knowledge that is contained here.

I am a vegetable farmer in New Hampshire with a growing (no pun intended) business. We have always leased equipment in the past from a farm neighbor, but they have moved away. As we purchase the equipment that is needed to keep ourselves running, we are finding more and more questions.

Before our neighbor moved, we purchased his JD 670 rotary tiller, in excellent condition, except for the warning that "it needs a new slip clutch". I talked to a few folks who have told me, if the slip clutch isn't completely wrecked, than it may just need new friction plates/etc.

I have disassembled the slip clutch, but need to know what to be looking for in terms of wear, etc.

Also, I have searched this site for slip clutch adjustment, but have not seen much for the Belleville spring plate style clutches.

Any insight on adjusting these to work with a 50 hp tractor? Thanks in advance.

Jeff- New Roots Farm

/ Greetings!- And JD670 Tiller Slip Clutch Question #2  
Welcome to the forum.
I assume it is a Deere clutch? If it is, then Deere should have a manual to follow.

I expect it has springs and there are 8 bolts that hold it together. These are adjusted by tightening down to a pre-set distance. Or they can be adjusted tight enough that the clutch doesn't slip under normal load (more difficult and time consuming, but it works). Get friendly with your Deere dealer, as their mechanics likely will be real helpful.

/ Greetings!- And JD670 Tiller Slip Clutch Question
Thanks, BeenThere. Actually, the clutch seems to be a 4 nut Belleville spring style clutch. I am fairly confident that it is a Deere though. The following link is to a Deere manual I found free online for a brush hog. It seems to be exactly the same as far as parts go.

Deere Brush Hog Driveline Manual See Section 45.

No nearby Deere dealer and the manual for the tiller is $45 from Deere. Being a frugal Yankee, thats a no-go. Can I just follow the specs for the Brush Hog? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

/ Greetings!- And JD670 Tiller Slip Clutch Question #4  
FarmerJeff,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Actually, the clutch seems to be a 4 nut Belleville spring style clutch. )</font>

Nuts or cap screws? My 660 tiller has a Walterscheid drive line with cap screws.

Tightening the cap screws disengages the clutch, so you can verify that the lining isn't sticking to the plates and the clutch will slip if you encounter an obstacle. After performing this check, you loosen the cap screws, which engages the clutch.

Have you checked the JDParts web site? I just checked and it appears that a 670 could have either a Walterscheid or Weasler drive line. The Weasler illustration shows six bolts. The Walterscheid doesn't show very much detail about the clutch.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No nearby Deere dealer )</font> The tiller is manufactured by Howard. Are there any Howard dealers near you? If not, it might be worth a trip to the closest ag dealer or farm supply store with drive line in hand. Drive lines tend to be pretty generic and a good farm supply will usually have what you need.

/ Greetings!- And JD670 Tiller Slip Clutch Question
Thanks- here is a link to photos in a new thread I started not realizing that this one had been moved. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Clutch photos for repair question