4310 w/ slight battery leak damage

/ 4310 w/ slight battery leak damage #1  

jhortonvt

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310
I have been keeping an eye on my battery (due to reports here of common leakage) and she finally started.

I called my dealer and they came out and changed the battery- with another 'John Deere Strongbox'.

Besides that not really being the final solution (from what I've read the only real solution is a sealed Optima battery) when I mentioned evidence of corrosion on the radiator fins and how that was the part I was most worried about the was an awkward silence, then the serviceman said to 'keep an eye on it'.

I've read some posts in here where people seemed to have very similar effects of leakage and everything the acid touched was replaced or painted.

Should I worry? From what I understand once battery acid is on something it's corrosive effects are hard to stop, even after cleaning.

I've attached a pic, this first one is the radiator and battery platform before hosing down and brushing.

Attachments

• 732180-SSCN1361.JPG
    732180-SSCN1361.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 338
   / 4310 w/ slight battery leak damage
After cleaning the only effect on the radiator seems to be the paint having been removed. Although it's hard to tell from the picture, don't see any obvious metal corrosion...

Attachments

• 732184-SSCN1355.JPG
    732184-SSCN1355.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 208
Final pic after cleaning and removing all the loose paint...

Attachments

• 732188-SSCN1356.JPG
    732188-SSCN1356.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 224
   / 4310 w/ slight battery leak damage #6  
Seems like you caught it in time, but I would let the service manager know, with a letter for a hard copy, what you observed. I think that is the oil cooler in front of the radiator, unless its been changed since my 4300. When my battery leaked, it did more damage to that cooler and Deere changed it out when the new battery was put in. Seems there is not enough clearance between the battery and the cooler coils.

I also keep a copper strip on top of the battery to act as a sacrificial stop to the corrosion on the top of the battery. I use a penny with a hole in it and a plastic tie to keep it there. Works for me.
This message reminds me to go check the battery and how it is doing. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 4310 w/ slight battery leak damage #7  
The Class II New Holland Boomers (I own a TC25D) have a similar problem. I finally installed an Odyssey dry cell battery. No more problems. (See attached)

Attachments

• 732370-odyssey.jpg
    732370-odyssey.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 229
beenthere,
Yeah I thought it was the oil cooler or a hydro fluid cooler, I wasn't sure. My big question is, has the fluid leakage began a process that will never stop, or have I caught it in time. I guess the best thing to do is at least have it documented with a letter as you said. What I'd like is for the dealer to at least re-paint what metal has been stripped of it's paint, if that will halt the damage I'd be happy. I just don't want this to cause a problem later when it's out of warranty.

/ 4310 w/ slight battery leak damage #9  
Welcome to the club. Rust and corrosion are chemical reactions; the metal that has corroded is forever gone and the integrity is compromised.
That "radiator" you refer to is the oil cooler for the hydrostatic drive and goes for $180. Make sure it gets changed before the tractor is out of warranty. My dealings with this issue exactly mirror yours, first trip in I got a new battery (non-sealed), a new oil cooler, a bunch of other new parts. Within a couple of months the new "improved" battery also leaked and this time it came back with a sealed battery at JD's expense, along with everything cleaned/painted up to look new.