Johnny Bucket or the Superior Scoop?

/ Johnny Bucket or the Superior Scoop? #1  

awlchu

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X595
Looking ahead to winter and snow......

I have been struggling with a decision on which to buy.

Johnny Bucket

www.johnnybucket.com

or the Superior Scoop

www.superior-tech.com

The John Deere 45 loader is out of the question due to cost. I own a X595 and will use of for snow removal and chores around the house.

Johnny Bucket Comments
-Very well made and heavily constructed
-Cannot determine if in 'dozer' position how well it will push snow
-Self-contained, meaning I do not need the JD ($$) adapter
-Cannot find one bad review about it, customers seemed happy
with its performance
- $1400 to my door....

Superior Scoop Comments
- Uses the base JD blade and setup
- Duel bottom of 1/8 steel, "industrial" look ie bolted together
- "Cam-shell" operation is interesting, could be used to "grapple" things like fallen branches, brush, small anoying dogs
- Spring loaded (JD base), some flex if you hit something unexpected....
- I can't find *any* reviews for this scoop/mod.
- $1500 to my door......

If I tried to use it as a scoop (for snow removal) do you think I'll be disappointed with it? Will the snow pack in be a PIA ie will not fall out? Granted the Superior can be opened as well as the JB (rotate ~90deg).

Other issues I need to consider? I have great respect for comments and advice from fellow TBN'rs!

Brian

/ Johnny Bucket or the Superior Scoop? #2  
Brian,

You state that snow removal is your primary objective. Given that I would not recommend either slip scoop. The angling front blade on a large garden tractor is great for snow removal given that you have chains or bar tires on the rear and sufficient rear ballast (wheel weights or a rear weight bracket or both). Trying to remove snow with a slip scoop will be much, much slower than using a blade. With either slip scoop the lift height is very low. You would not be able to "stack" snow in piles as would be the case with a 45 loader.

The scoops are useful for moving and spreading loose materials such as mulch, sand, gravel, and loose soil. They can also be used for minor excavation tasks.

However, if you do decide to choose a scoop, note that with the Superior Scoop based on the JD blade, the hydraulics that control blade angle have to be moved up to control the bucket. The blade has to be blocked manually in the straight position. Thus you lose the ability to angle the blade--a feature that is very important in blading snow.

I suggest you start out with the hydraulically angled blade and see how it goes this winter. I bet you will be pleased.

JackIL

/ Johnny Bucket or the Superior Scoop?
JackIL,

Thank you for the thorough review. I have to think hard about what else I'd use the slip bucket for beyond snow. The JB concerns me about not having the spring loaded mount to help absorb the energy when striking an object.

Do you think I will still need weights (assuming JD blade only) for a 4WD X595?

Brian

/ Johnny Bucket or the Superior Scoop? #4  
awlchu,

I bought the JB SR last year and would do it again in a heart beat!

Not sure your pricing is right on the Superior Scoop. The web site says $595 plus shipping. Are you adding in the cost of the quik-hitch and angling blade?

I have the 54 blade and the JB SR. I used the 54 blade last winter to clean off my drive. Jackil is correct. The blade works better than the JB SR would in clearing snow. The JB SR is better for moving mulch, dirt, sand, etc.

Depends upon your need both now and what you believe you will want to do in the future.

Buy both and support the economy!! That way you'll have what you need.

Good Luck in your decision.

Kevin

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( awlchu,

Not sure your pricing is right on the Superior Scoop. The web site says $595 plus shipping. Are you adding in the cost of the quik-hitch and angling blade?

Buy both and support the economy!! That way you'll have what you need.

Good Luck in your decision.

Kevin )</font>

Kevin,

Tell me your secret of how you convinced your Spouse to allow you to buy both units! Either she is a "super-wife" or she doesn't venture into the Barn often enough!

ha!

Kevin,

Can you rotate the Sr bucket to a dozer position and push snow?

/ Johnny Bucket or the Superior Scoop? #6  
Yes, but only in the straight ahead position. That is the problem with using it for snow. You need to have it angled.

JackIL

/ Johnny Bucket or the Superior Scoop? #7  
Brian,

Yes, you need rear wheel weights or a weight bar on the back in addition to chains on turf tires or no chains on bar tires. There is just no getting around this. To push snow you need the traction that only can be provided by weight pushing down on the tires.

JackIL

/ Johnny Bucket or the Superior Scoop? #8  
Hi Brian,
If your primary purpose is to remove snow, my opinion would be to just use the front blade with dual hydraulics (up/dwn & angle). I will say that I have a 45 loader and have been amazed at all the chores I find for it, but for moving snow I just use the blade. I have an X585 and find that with the 4 wheel drive that weight is not necessary on concrete. I would be nervous about breaking something if I had more traction. This is with turf tires by the way. The only concern I have is the down force that my X585 puts on the blade while in float. I don't think Deere has a fix for that yet. I added a spring to my blade to offset that down pressure. I plow my drive which is 3 cars wide and goes to 3 buildings on the property. I also plow the street in front of my house for the heck of it! What ever you come up with, I hope you have a lot of fun.

Joe in Wisconsin

Attachments

• 733791-JD585sno.jpg
    733791-JD585sno.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,913
   / Johnny Bucket or the Superior Scoop? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( awlchu,

</font>

Kevin,

Tell me your secret of how you convinced your Spouse to allow you to buy both units! Either she is a "super-wife" or she doesn't venture into the Barn often enough!

ha!

Kevin,

Can you rotate the Sr bucket to a dozer position and push snow?
)</font>

You've heard the saying: "Less said is best said"

Just kidding, it wasn't a problem as the blade and a 450 JD tiller were included in the purchase of my JD 425. I bought the JB SR before the increase in price last summer.

Kevin

Thanks everyone!

I have a new 54inch JD blade etc on order!

What pushed me in this direction was the primary use of the tool, pushing snow. If the need arises the superior scoop is an option.

Brian

Of course if the dealer is just dying to get rid of a 45 loader for let's say "$2k", I will go that route too... (wake up Brian...)