how do I check hydraulic fluid on loader/back hoe

/ how do I check hydraulic fluid on loader/back hoe #1  

gejlp3

I just got a John Deere 400 Tractor with a loader and a back hoe. What is the proper way to check the hydraulic fluid on it, I did get some information with the tractor, one book says to have the tractor running when you check it and another says to have it turned off? Also, what position should the back hoe be in? Also, has any one used the Fleet Farm John Deere hydraulic fluid in their Deere with good results?
Any help would be great.

/ how do I check hydraulic fluid on loader/back hoe #2  
On my setup, the fluid is checked with the front bucket set level on the ground. the backhoe in transport position amd the unit sitting on level. The hydraulic fluid is checked through a sight glass on most models, but some have a dipstick.

On fluids. I am very pleased with the price that I have paid for JD fluids and filters. They are not over priced, and any data I have seen puts their quality up there with the best. I can't see saving a few bucks and possibly causing long term damage. At the very least, I am supporting a dealer and will be a little more important to him should I need something. I would rather be a somebody to somebody than a nobody to everybody.

I don't know for sure, but I have seen where mixing lubricants CAN have disasterous results. The difference between a lubricant and adhesive can be small, especially under heat. That is why pro video guys never have tapes jam and amatuers always seem to - they buy whatever is cheap, and the lubricants get contaminated.

/ how do I check hydraulic fluid on loader/back hoe
Thanks for the reply, do you have your tractor running when you check it?

Glen

/ how do I check hydraulic fluid on loader/back hoe #4  
gejlp3,

My 4115 manual says to check all oil and hydro fluids "cold". Hmm, contradictory to checking auto fluids but, that's their directions. Also, I don't know about your machine but, my dealer said "...as long as there's fluid showing in the site glass...you're fine". I also have a dipstick for the hydro fluid under my seat. It's a bit of a pain to pull out and slide back in, cleanly but, I usually use that for level and the site glass for a quick check.

Tom

/ how do I check hydraulic fluid on loader/back hoe
My tractor doesn't have a sight glass on it, there is a dip stick to the right of the seat.

/ how do I check hydraulic fluid on loader/back hoe #6  
Well, then that would be my guess then. Yellow handle?. Again, my manual says check cold...may be difference of opinion on this though.

Tom