New to JD

/ New to JD #1  

jdgreg

Gold Member
Took delivery of a new (to me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) JD 4210 this week. It's replacing my old and faithful Ford 1700, so I had to re-register with a new name. I've had the Ford for over 18yrs, and has been a strond and reliable tractor. I'm sure the JD will serve me better. From a functionality point, it's definately an upgrade, eHydro, PS, QD 420 bucket, etc. Rides like a caddy compared to my 1700. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Finished putting my bucket forks and ATI bucket grapple on it last night. Waiting on my Fasse valve kit from my dealer to complete the grapple, then I can finish moving the brush piles to the burn pile. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif My Curtis soft side cab should be in soon, so I'll be all ready come winter.

In case anyone's interested, I made forks for the bucket out of 2"x4"x3/16"x3' rectangular steel, and bolted them to the inside of the bucket with 3/8" bolts. I welded a piece of square tubing in the end of the foks to give them a point. The steel cost me $55 and a couple of bucks for the bolts/nuts/washers. The forks are used ONLY for moving felled trees and brush. The bolts are soft enough that if I get caught up on something they should let go before something important does. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ New to JD #2  
Welcome to the JD group. If you can, take some pictures of your new equipment and mods and post for all to see. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ New to JD
Will do as soon as I get the cab on.
Thanks

/ New to JD #4  
Hi thanks for the great post! I am very interested in that grapple setup... Post all kinds of pics, and we will let you you in Club4310. Just this once we will make an exception for a 4210, the Fasse valve will serve as your waiver! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Really, tell us more about it, and if I can be that nosey, how much it set you back. Thanks!

/ New to JD
Hey, I get to join the club, cool!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Which piece did you want to know the price of?

/ New to JD
I got the grapple from my NH dealer, it was about $950 incl taxes and shipping. I know this is a little high, but it was after prices increased due to increased cost of steel, etc. The quality of the ATI product is first-class, and is worth it in my mind. If you're not in a hurry for one, you might find one on ebay for less. My problem was I needed it pronto, and didnt want to wait around for weeks/months for the chance one might appear.

The Fasse set up will be around $600, through my JD dealer. I liked the Long kit, but they didnt deal with them. Again, I know this is a little high, but it's coming through JD directly, so if there are any issues it will be easy to get it fixed. I could have cobbled something together, and there have been some good posts here of similar setups. I didnt want to do this due to time and patience, or lack thereof. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I plumbed in a manual diverter valve for the grapple on my 1700, and that was a PITA, didnt want to repeat all the trial and error, and running back and forth to TSC getting the right size adapter, etc, etc.

Sorry for the long-winded response.